Tracking Dogs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Tracking Dogs

Has anybody heard the rumor about letting professionally owned tracking dogs being allowed to operate in Pa? Supposedly used to recover lost deer that were hit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Sage

Re: Tracking Dogs

still in bill form..not passed yet

wmu 3A
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What good is it if they have to be professionals?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 PM

I think that as long as the dog is "on a leash" it should be legal. I've lost deer in the past, and know others who have too -- especially in the early archery season when there is still a lot of foliage in the woods, and following a blood trail is difficult. I don't understand some laws; especially any that would making the recovery of a deer difficult or impossible. I mean, it's fine for dogs to recover small game - so why not deer?
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We're in agreement Karl.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

So...Why are these professional dog guys trying to get into Pa.? You go home, get out of your hunting stuff and take the dog for a walk. A person has to wonder what is up when special interest groups petition the state.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Some of the "professional dog guys" are members here and nice people. There just trying to open the door for retrieving wounded deer with dogs and it is my understanding that if this is passed and you have a dog you would like to get certified and use to track game that would be possible. Lots of guys already training there labs and such to be shed dogs, they could easily train there dogs to be recovery and get certified. JMHO.

Molon Labe
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are lots of guys who already have trained blood tracking dogs in PA. Those with Drahthaars and Kurzhaars. There might even be some others under german testing systems.

These are trained dogs, not dogs that will be trained. Its part of the testing in order to breed.

But to open this up to just so called professionals or some guy who gets a cerificate from deer tracker.com is just ridiculous. I have no support for it if the laws says tracking needs to be performed by a certified dog or a professional.

Why would you have to have the dog certified? Either you trained him to perform the task so you use its skill, or you take a dog out on a leash that is of no help in finding the deer. To tell everyone they can only use a certified dog just seems like a special interest group that is looking for a way to make a buck.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM

I think this a major issue that needs to be addressed. I know many of people who wish they could take their dogs out with them to track deer, but it isn't realistic. Maybe dogs who become "certified" by there standards but still just maybe. Owning horses and other livestock I feel this will be a major issue. I have no issues with using dogs...unless it's affecting my personal property. I feel too many individuals will take advantage of the certifiation although there dogs may be interfering with others property particularly livestock...JMO.

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Sage

The dogs would have to stay on a leash, they could not be turned loose to track according to the bill I remember so the concern about harrassing cattle and domestic animals isn't valid.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page