Best out of state hunt for young hunter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Best out of state hunt for young hunter

Has anyone here taken a young hunter on an out of state hunt? My son is 9 and we just got the ok from mom to go on a hunt. It will be in 2 years so he will be 11. Anyone have any experience with this? Ideas on outfitters, states, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Best out of state hunt for young hunter

Try a close state first like VA or WV...Both have websites you can go over their nonresident youth programs...Both have huge National Forests just south of Pennsylvania..
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM

I am in the same boat as you pabuckkiller. My son is 9 and we are looking at going maybe next year on a trip. One issue is I don't want him to miss school to do it which is a problem since alot of hunting seasons occur during school. I am kicking around the idea of doing a deer and/or hog hunt over Christmas vacation down south where it is warm. The other option is a hog hunt down south in the summer, but it is pretty hot then.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys

All depends what you are hunting for? Whitetails right here in Pa.Good mentor program.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM
The Man

Iím assuming you want to hunt Whitetails and that youíre looking for an outfitted hunt.

If so, IMO you canít beat a southern for a youngster. There is either no minimum age or it is very young. The seasons are long so itís possible to fit a hunt into the school schedule. The fall weather is mild, and even if you go late the weather is relatively comfortable. The pace is relaxed. The stands are large and many can accommodate 2 people, all stands have a 360 degree shooting rest for a steady shot and even the open stands (as opposed to shooting houses) have a skirt surround to help hide the movements of squiggly young kids. If you go for a week you will see and have shooting at deer. The limits are generous so you can hunt all week even if youíre on a lucky streak. On most hunts you have a chance for a ďpoor manís grizzlyĒ (wild hog). And the hunts arenít extremely expensive.

There are many outfits in all of the southern states, and some very good ones. Everybody here knows who my favorite is so I wonít repeat it here. If you are interested, I did an extensive post for another member in the Outfitters forum just a week ago. Itís currently on page two I believe .Iíd also be happy to pm you as well. Iíve also heard good things about Lily Pond in North Carolina, and I just read posts on here in the last day or so with good things to say about Cypress Creek in South Carolina and White Oak Plantation in Alabama.

If instead youíre looking to DIY, burk and hunter-2 made good suggestions above.

Lo
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 PM
The Man

Just realized the post I was referring to was started by someone else, here's the link:

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...17#Post2574817
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Whatever you choose, be sure to do your homework, some states require a valid HTE card for non-residents.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Banned

Pa ... Tried sending you a pm... But your mail box is full.. So pm me....
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM

If you want to see a lot of game & come home with a trophy, I'd go to Texas, but it's not cheap. For just plain fun & meat in the freezer, I'd go to Florida or Georgia for a hog hunt.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In Maine, kids can hunt at 10 years old. A lot of baited bear hunts are 90% success rate. Probably $1500-2000. I have also been looking at Canada. Technically, the kid wouldn't be old enough for his own license, but you could buy the license and have one bear tag and one rifle between the two of you. Same deal on success but their hunts are in the spring and the season goes until late June so he wouldn't miss out on school. A lot of places have outstanding fishing as well.

Scott Meier, White Oak Lodge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page