What am I doing wrong? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
What am I doing wrong?

I never see bucks like this one, and some who post here say they don't even see any deer at all. Check these cover gals out. They are from Danville, PA. Congratulations, gals. You done good.

http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x1083...al-recognition

February 17, 2012
Hunting family's trophies earn national recognition

By Karen Blackledge The Daily Item

RIVERSIDE -- A Rush Township girl has appeared on the covers of three magazines, and her sister expects to follow in her footsteps as a cover girl.

They both are being lauded for the large bucks they have bagged.

Hanna Harris, 17, a junior at Danville High School, graced the covers of Rack, a national magazine published by Buckmasters in Alabama; the National Rifle Association's American Hunter publication, which has a million subscribers; and Mountain Home, which covers seven states in the Northeast.

Hanna was recognized for shooting the sixth largest buck in Pennsylvania. The white-tailed deer she bagged scored 205 on the Boone and Crocket scale for its antlers. Boone and Crocket is a universal scoring system, said her dad, Joe Harris, who owns Harris Taxidermy Studio in Danville.

Hanna appeared on the cover of the three magazines for the buck she shot in November 2010 in Rush Township, Northumberland County.

At the time, the magazines contacted Hanna because the Internet was abuzz about the deer, which was touted as the largest shot in seven states. She received an award in Massachusetts. Her sister, Paige, 14, could be invited to the same banquet to be honored for her large buck.

A Danville eighth-grader, Paige already has been contacted to appear on the covers of the same three magazines, the girls' dad said.

A story about her latest buck is expected to be published in American Hunter in March.

That buck's antlers scored 198 for their size and as one of the top 25 ever taken in Pennsylvania. She shot the deer in December, also in Rush Township.

Joe Harris expects Paige to appear on the magazine covers this fall.

He has done shoulder mounts of their trophy and magazine-cover deer and placed them on free-standing pedestals.

Eventually, the deer will sit in front of what they call the women's wall of hunting achievements in their home.

Hanna has shot four bucks, having started hunting in other states when she was 10. She also has bagged seven gobblers and small game.

Paige's large deer is her third. She shot her first spring gobbler when she was 10 and three others since then.

According to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, girls account for 16 percent of junior hunting licenses, which are for hunters 16 and younger. From June 14, 2010, through June 30, 2011, junior licenses totaled 13,672 for girls and 69,766 for boys.

The Harris girls said they were influenced by their dad and mom, Maria, both of whom are hunters.

Sometimes, they hunt with their grandfather, Tom Harris, of Danville. "It's a whole family affair," Joe said.

"We have pictures of me when I'm 2 dressed in camo and ready to go along," Hanna said. She used to tag along with her parents on hunts.

"It's mostly a family thing," Hanna said. "It's really relaxing to be out there by yourself."

Hanna usually watches for deer from a 20-foot-high tree stand.

Paige had to overcome a fear of heights to climb the stand.

"It's fun," Paige said. "Every year, the whole family comes over, and we talk about our stories."

The family eats the meat. "Everybody likes venison, and we've found good recipes," Joe said. That also goes for turkey and rabbit.

The girls' brother, Joey, 10, got his second buck this year. He shot his first buck when he was 8 and also has bagged four spring gobblers.

Their dad's brother, Tom, a fly fishing guide, has appeared on several magazine covers. The latest is the national magazine Fly Fisherman. Tom has served as a guide in areas including Argentina, Pennsylvania, Ohio and New York.

"The joke is who will grace the most covers," Joe said of his daughters and his brother.

Email comments about this article to [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: What am I doing wrong?

These deer were killed on private ground with limited access..Deerhunting is 95% luck and 5% skill...
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313
These deer were killed on private ground with limited access..Deerhunting is 95% luck and 5% skill...
yep, not to hard to kill big bucks when you have unlimited money and unlimited resources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM

^^^Agreed

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 PM
The Man

Well young man, you're not practicing a salute for your future commanding officer or boss.
Too bad if they hunt in a better place. They can shoot too.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313
Wrong its 95% location 5% Skill

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

well prob more like 70/30 but 95/5 sounded better for argument sake.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Banned

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Those bucks were killed about 30 minutes from my back door. They are legit. Harvested on private farm ground, by these girls who not only hunt, but are active in their schools and community. They are good people, they have the luxury of good hunting ground, which is their birthright. There is nothing bad to say about the harvests or the young ladies. The property is well managed by people who care about the future of the deer herd. I can't wait to see the next one they get !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Paige's story is on the back page of the March issue of American Hunter, short but a good read.

Black Labs
Shoot Straight--Hunt Safe
Life Member NRA
Life Member N.A.H.Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page