'Lots of reasons for bigger racked buck" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

'Lots of reasons for bigger racked buck"

This was in the PA outdoor news:

' Yes we are taking more record book bucks in Pennsylvania than ever before

With many posting their ground, even small parcels, food plots, cuttings, and personal land management are the norm today. Food supplements for deer and antler growth are sold everywhere, and are very popular

Add in antler restrictions, bad weather in recent years, and few hunters with fewer skills and less time. Also there is more natural foods due to lack of deer density

Cable television supplied knowledge of land management and proper supplements. Television hunting hosts advocating a "160 or better" mentality and selective practices is creating a celebrity hunter effect.

Most serious hunters and land owners aren't waiting for the Game Commission. They're managing their own posted properties properly and the results are coming in.

In the past, mroe records were a surprise to the shooter. Today most are known and grown. I like to call it the texas effect. A good analogy McGuire and Sossa vs. the babe - no disrespect intended.
Antler restrictions have helped, but most of the credit for many of these new records should go to the grower"

It's called SHOT PLACEMENT not a bigger caliber
Greed is a nasty thing
Save Western Wildlife Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 PM
The Man

Re: 'Lots of reasons for bigger racked buck"

The woods of PA are hardly a Texas deer farm. As for all the supposed antler-growth inducing supplements and crops, they're about as likely to work as those pills smilin' Bob sells on tv.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #3 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhippie
The woods of PA are hardly a Texas deer farm. As for all the supposed antler-growth inducing supplements and crops, they're about as likely to work as those pills smilin' Bob sells on tv.
So the food plots and supplements arent doing anything? Wow.

Greed is a nasty thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Almost forgot there are P&Y's hiding behind every tree in Penns woods these days, Thx for the reminder!
post #5 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Weber_RRT
Almost forgot there are P&Y's hiding behind every tree in Penns woods these days, Thx for the reminder!
I guess the camps that dont let anyone shoot anything under 140-160" dont mean anything either right? It's all the PGC AR that are making all these big deer right? I guess that big 14pointer shot near 3 mile island illegaly came from the AR to right? I guess that the fact of not being able to hunt on 3 mile island didn't factor into anything right? Lol!

Greed is a nasty thing
post #6 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 PM
The Man

They're certainly not coming out of a bag of salt someone's spreading on the ground. Planting food plots improves the overall health of the animals, that's true, would it matter if that food plot was "bio-logic" broccoli rod that's "specially formulated" for antler growth as opposed to, say, clover, corn, or wheat? Probably not.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #7 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Like it or not, it's a side effect of AR. No one can reliably tell the genetic potential of a 1-1/2 year old buck that they don't know the breeding history of. They don't necessarily grow huge their first year since their nutrition is going to their skeletons.

I have trail cam pics of 1-1/2 year old 4-points and 6-points that live through the seasons, and these deer are noticeably longer and taller, body wise, in late December than they were in September. They grew a lot, just like some teenage boys go from 5' 10" to 6' 3" from age 15-1/2 to 17.

With AR protecting an entire age group of deer, then statistically there will be more older, and hence bigger, bucks in coming years.

This isn't to say that the "best" genetics make it through. Maybe they had a legal rack the first year and got killed. But it doesn't take a biology degree, or an endorsement from the PGC or USP to understand that an older buck who's skeletal frame is grown or mostly grown will divert more of the growth minerals to his rack as a 2-1/2 and beyond. And a statistician will tell you that odds are with more bucks living past 1-1/2, more will live to 2-1/2, 3-1/2, 4-1/2 and so on.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #8 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't credit TV shows or mineral blocks for what is happening in PA. They may want the credit. But, they don't deserve it!

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #9 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Part of the Community

I think credit should be given to the hunters that let the 1 1/2 year old legal bucks walk...I feel hunters (in my area anyway) even youth hunters, would rather shoot a doe than a small legal 6pt. It makes me happy to see hunters set goals and strive to shoot a mature deer. Doesn't seem to be a big ego thing just to kill any legal buck. If they want some venison a doe would do.

Mathews
G5 T3
2D
post #10 of 162 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Part of the Community

I know AR has helped. I also know that we started managing our own property 5 years befor AR and that helped more than anything. I can also tell that we have noticed a difference in the bucks since or children have started hunting. Atleast now our children aren't satisfied with 1 1/2 year old bucks and are waiting for bigger ones now too. I'm sure we will see an increase in our quality of bucks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page