Fair 60 minutes piece on Hunting Exotics in US - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Fair 60 minutes piece on Hunting Exotics in US

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...roller;housing

Growing up in PA, Texas was my home away from home, and now it is my home. Apparently a new Federal order now essentially bans hunting the Oryx, Dama Gazzelle, and Addax. These are 3 animals that were used as missile practice by Qaddafi and are essentially extinct in Africa, yet, thriving in Texas as their population is now well above 50,000.

They help a generate a billion dollar industry which helps keep the species alive. I'm afraid this new order will destroy the species across the globe. Hunters help preserve wildlife and in the end, it appears 60 minutes agrees with that.

3B NRA NWTF: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.

My Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
Re: Fair 60 minutes piece on Hunting Exotics in US

I watched it and was amazed. Wasn't it CBS who ran that piece of crap, "The Guns Of Autumn."? This one seemed to be pretty even in its treatment of sport hunting as a means to conserving endangered species. It was telling when the gal from Friends of Animals said she would rather see a species become extinct than to see hunting for it, even if that saved the species from extinction. Lara Logan seems to have entered the piece with a bias against hunting, but she finally seems to have concluded that the anti hunters have it wrong.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I did a search for The Guns Of Autumn, and this is what I found.
From Field and Stream:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/pages/...utumn%E2%80%9D
Quote:
In September, 1975, CBS broadcast a “documentary” called “The Guns of Autumn,” which was purportedly an expose of hunting, but was so biased, so clumsy, and so blatantly rigged that it was panned by even the Columbia Journalism Review, which is the official organ of the Columbia School of Journalism and no friend to either hunters or gun owners. The narrator of this electronic excressence was Dan Rather.
Also:
Quote:
In the days following the telecast CBS probably got even more attention than it desired in the nation's press, as paper after paper castigated the show for assorted prejudices and inadequacies: "A new low in the standards of electronic journalism," "extreme and inflammatory," "massively ignorant or deliberately false." Amid all this sound and fury, who really deserves to be called what?
Read Sports Illustrated's take on the show.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...0248/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I also watched the 60 minutes piece last night. Its amazing that the animals rights activists can say they'd rather see these three animals disappear from the face of the earth than be hunted in Texes. Its blatently obviously the revenues generated from hunting are keeping these species from extinction, and the ban will create an almost certainty of that event. Not only has hunting saved those animals here in Texas, but many other species in their native territories. The anti agenda just wont stop, even if it means causing extinction.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

One thing I would like to mention here is that while many African species were close to extinction, including lions and elephants, the money that comes from sport hunting is what reversed the trend. Today there are more elephants in most of Africa than can be tolerated, and sometimes hunters like my friend Wayne get to help by taking out a problem animal that is causing the natives lots of trouble when he was hunting in Zimbabwe.

As a point of contrast, Kenya used to be the destination for safaris, but they banned sport hunting some time ago. Many areas of Kenya are now essentially devoid of wildlife.

The moral of this is, if you want to save wildlife from extinction, let hunters pony up the money to do it. We will do it willingly.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mutt, Most people don't understand that, maybe they acn now be educated.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

I know that, ICDY. I have been involved in discussions with people who do not hunt who firmly believe that us hunters are hunting lots of animals into extinction and the only way to save them is to ban hunting. I usually don't lose my temper, but instead bring up Kenya vs. South Africa. In Kenya, elephants are very rare. In South Africa, one National Park alone (Kruger) has so many that they are changing the ecosystem. The last time I was there, the estimate was that the park was home to around 12,000 elephants and could support 5-7,000 without damage. They were talking about letting the army machine gun whole herds of them. I suggested letting hunters pay for the privilege of killing the elephants they consider surplus and was told that hunting was forbidden in Kruger. Much better to have the army take them out, I guess. There are too many elephants in Zimbabwe and Botswana also, as well as several other countries in which hunting is a major contributor to the economy. Even Robert Mugabe has told his army to make certain that guest hunters who are bringing in lots of cash are to be protected and poachers are to be killed on sight.

I think most non-hunters get their knowledge of nature from Disney films. In fact, I not sure that isn't true of some hunters.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

ok, the Friends of Animals leader (who started the ban), is having an argument with me. She claims the three animals are thriving in Africa. It's simple math, several hundred in Africa vs 50,000 in Texas. I have almost never been this mad.

3B NRA NWTF: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.

My Blog
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Here is our "conversation"

CREN: @pferal You are about to destroy three species of animals. They cannot survive in Africa under current regimes. Texas is their only hope.

@pferal Priscilla Feral: @CRENpolitics Wrong. We reintroduced oryxes to Senegal in 1999. Thriving in protected Reserves over thousands of acres.

CREN: @pferal The ranches in Texas are thousands of acres & more importantly, are safe from poachers. 50,000 in Texas, several hundred in Africa.

CREN: @pferal B/c of you, who will provide the money to care for the 50,000 in Texas or do you just want them to die???

@pferal Priscilla Feral: @CRENpolitics Let the oryxes live out their lives on ranches or decent sanctuaries because on April 5, 2012 it's illegal to harm them.

CREN: @pferal I have been 2 Senegal, other African nations, & ranches in Texas. The safest place 4 the Oryx, Addax, and DG to survive is in Texas.

@pferal Priscilla Feral: @CRENpolitics Ridiculous and I was in Senegal 3 wks ago along with your obscene hunting ranches.

CREN: @pferal but they are not going to gain in population on Texas ranches because no one will care for them anymore meaning nearly all will die.

@pferal Priscilla Feral: @CRENpolitics Earth to you: Hunting ranches are not safe for animals hunted. In Senegal, numbers are increasing on protected lands.

CREN: @pferal why did their populations drop in Africa??? One reason is Qaddafi used them as missile practice. Still going to be harmed over there

@pferal Priscilla Feral: @CRENpolitics No. Oryxes were hunted to extinction by French trophy hunters. That's over.

CREN: @pferal how many in Senegal are there???? And by protected, how well guarded? Poachers still can "harm" them very easily in Senegal.

CREN: @pferal first of all, I never said I was a hunter, that was wrong of you to assume. Again, how many live in Africa?

---She never states how many remain in Africa

My Blog
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Sage

These people are idiots, they know nothing and operate on pure feelings and the truth be darned. Ask her how many Black buck are left in India and how many are in Texas. Texas is the only hope for the Black buck species to survive in India because the numbers there are so low.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page