Colorado Pronghorn Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Colorado Pronghorn Hunt

I was hoping someone could clarify the license process in Colorado. My brother's good friend and neighbor has a cattle ranch in Colorado and gave my son & I permission to come out and hunt. He expressed the need to thin the Pronghorn population so that is what we will concentrate on.

First, Is it true that you just buy a license for the game you are hunting and there is no general license needed? What about a separate rifle, muzzle loader or archery license?

Also if you are hunting a private ranch are you guaranteed a tag? Is the lottery only for Public land?

I plan on contacting the Colorado Wildlife Agency as soon as I have more details from the property owner on what GMU and so forth but I figured I start here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Colorado Pronghorn Hunt

No sure about antelope but I think they guarentee a license for land owners greater than 160 acres for deer. My guess, is you'll still apply for the draw. Not sure about the odds.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM

My brothers FIL is applying for land owner tags for the first time (my brother does not have any PP and will not draw for a few years without his help!)

He was saying the property has to be a minimum of 160continuous acres and in an area that is limited by the state. the speicies (ELK, DEER, GOATS) have to occupy the land for a minimum of 6 months out of the year... Here is the link he sent when I was asking CO Landowner

As far as just getting a tag once you know the town pop the info into hunterstrailhead.com and then you can see what drawing odds are for that unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys, I will check the link. I'm pretty sure this ranch is over a thousand acres from what was described by my brother.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

The landowner vouchers are not guaranteed to them. They need to go into a draw just like hunters do. Once you learn what GMU the ranch is in, you will be better able to figure things out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yeah that's how I just read it from the link. Are all big game species a lottery in Co.

Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

jk:

Not all tags are via a lottery or draw. There are over 90 GMU's that have archery, 2nd rifle and 3rd rifle tags over the counter for elk. There are also a bunch of GMU's that have OTC archery antelope tags. Everything else is via the draw. Colorado is a pure preference point state so those with the most points get the tags (exception is the hybrid draw). There is a % split on how many go to non-res vs residents.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
New Arrival

PHA has it correct. Other than some OTC elk tags and archery antelope, pretty much everything else is through a preference point drawing system. Some of the western states have pretty complicated drawings but Colorado is relatively easy to understand. Hope this helps!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
The Man

If I am reading it right I am in GMU 110 (I think) it's in the plains then I am at least good for Archery. I am definitely hunting the plains though just have to make sure of the GMU.

Does that sound right?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page