Saskatchewan rifle whitetail hunt ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Saskatchewan rifle whitetail hunt ?

Anybody have any recommendations for one? Or ones to avoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Saskatchewan rifle whitetail hunt ?

I wouldn't stick my neck out with a recommendation as things and outfitters change with time. But if you book a hunt I have a lot of very cold weather gear I could sell you.

I would suggest going to the Sportsman show in Harrisburg and focus heavily on checking out recent references including those who went home without a buck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

check with premier hunting adventures he's a member on here and heard alot of good things about his hunts

Freezer full yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 AM
The Man

I think i would find an outfitter that has heated shacks. I have afriend who used to go there. Had a custom made coveralls made from a sleeping bag. Said it wasent bad but would be dropped early in morning picked up at night. Had to keep sandwichs inside of clothes so they wouldnt freeze. Sounds like a place i wouldnt care to be. Best of luck finding an outfitter and your hunt, those bucks there sure are awesome.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM

Look forward to the replies.

This hunt (or Alberta) is on my bucket list.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Just make sure it's clean of any oils that hold moisture and lubed with some dry lube that can handle those super cold temperatures if you encounter them. As far as a choice, in my opinion any of the modern bolt action rifles will do, the scope would be a standard Leupold 3x9 would fit the bill, caliber-whatever you can handle and shoot accurate with lots of clothes on, the main thing..use great bullets-partitions or triple shocks fit the bill. No use spending all that cash and having a elcheappo bulet touching your buck or wolf. GET IN SHAPE--even sitting in a blind is easier when you all toned up.. good luck and post the pics
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Check this one out if you wish. I have not hunted there, but know a few guys who did.

http://www.buckparadise.com/
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

At 5K per whitetail, i better be hunting with Nicole Jones in that shack!

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Part of the Community

Buck,
Just a couple of years ago this hunt looked like it was possibly going to come together for me and a couple guys. I spent countless hours on the internet looking over outfitters. I talked to quite a few and checked references on ones I had narrowed it down to. The place we were going to go to was Diamond Willow Hunts. The reasons I had chosen this place were the fellow that runs it was great to talk to, he didn't try to sell you, he didn't have to. The pictures, the references, really everything was first class. I liked the fact that most of the guides were local farmers thatnew the area, and had grown up hunting right there where they were taking you hunting. Also, when searching on the internet for hunts make sure the outfitters pictures are broken down year by year. Anyone can have a handful of big bucks taken over the course of 25 years and when they bunch them together it looks very impressive. The main reason I had chosen this place was though it was hard to get in. He had so many repeat clients that they just booked back in before they left to come home. The best part about that is repeat clients usually hold out for true trophies. They have shot a couple 140" - 150" deer and are now looking for Booners, all that equates to more borderline deer being let go til next year. I did have a good friend and two of his buddies use this outfitter after my hunt fell through and they all scored, two of them shot great bucks and one guy pulled the triger to quickly but the said the whole experience was first rate.
Good luck, check references of both successful and unsuccessful hunters, heated stands would be good, time in the stand + big bucks. I hope to go myself soon.
Jack (ECO)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Also, keep in mind that stories or accounts from references can be misleading. Therefore do not take one or even a couple of accounts as completely accurate indicators of the potential.

If I were to tell you that I've hunted in Saskatchewan 7 times, (4 deer hunts), but that the biggest bucks I ever killed were right here in the USA and in Pennsylvania, you might think that is a bad mark for Sask ---- but not so.

Every year that I've been there someone in camp of our group of 6 hunters got a 170 class buck and every year I also "saw" bigger bucks than I took home. I "did" get a buck on each hunt, and so did all the others, but I just was never able to align the stars to put the really big ones in my sights.

Cold? Yup! We hunted from dark to dark, (about 10 hours), and most days the temps were below or at zero f..... and few times I recall -25f.
I was attempting to take a buck with my bow that year and could not even pull the bow back. I called a buck within 12 yards but couldn't close the deal. I ended up borrowing my buddys' left-handed 308, (I'm right handed), and killing the buck on the last day with the rifle at 7 yards!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page