LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

How is your WMU?????

Which WMU's have:

Low population of bucks?

Low population of does?

Satisfactory population of bucks?

Satisfactory population of doe's?

Is public and private land different? How?

On what do you base your opinion?

How many days do you scout? How many days do you
hunt...with which weapon(s)?

Did you have success? Buck? Doe(s)?

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM

Re: How is your WMU?????

In my area of 2C, private land is the better choice, more than satisfactory numbers of deer of both sexes. Areas where anyone can get at tend hold less deer and are harder to hunt and alas, are subject to a lot of bad stuff from poaching to litter. More ground than ever before is posted.

But the WMUs are so big I have no clue what the other 90% of it is like.

I scout via camera just about 365. I have boots on the ground probably 10 different days during the summer and early fall prior to the seasons. I live for bow hunting, probably 20-30 trips or until I kill a buck. I hunt less and less with a gun, maybe a day or three if I haven't killed a buck.

I shot an archery doe, first doe in a decade, probably last one for a long time. I got a new rig this year and wanted to experience the performance and it had been three years since I had jerky meat. I also got an archery buck in early rut.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In the part of 3B I hunt The public & private land are about the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM

2A, only hunt private. IMO, a very healthy herd.

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 PM

I hunt 2A, mostly for archery, and have more than satisfied with the number of bucks I have seen over the years. From pre-season spotting, to sitting on stand, I can recall a number of days seeing 5+ bucks.
No "low" population of does either. Actually, I've seen the same if not more deer in the last 3 or 4 years hunting 2A then I did in 8 years hunting 2B. Not to mention the woods are much bigger now then I'm used to in 2B.
I hunt about 95% private land however, and am fortunate to hunt most of those with only 1 or 2 other guys.
As far as scouting goes...I spot ALL summer, hang stands all summer/early fall, and walk around/drive the quad everywhere looking for every imaginable trail, rub, scrape...any deer sign.
I hunt with the bow and have shot 6 bucks in the 8 years I've hunted. 3 in the last 4 years in 2A...

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 PM

WMU's are too big to make a blanket statement about any one. I hunt 4D and in my part the deer herd is pretty low. In other parts I'm sure there are more deer.I hunted for 9 days in rifle and saw less than 10 deer total and one legal buck. I hunt public land. From the fellas around here I have talked to ,the hunters on private property did'nt do any better. The population is just low here ,Period.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunted 3C
Hunted the first 2 days on public land
seen 4 anterless deer the first day.Would of got 1 but are anterless season started on saturday.Seen 3 deer at 1:45 and 1 at 3:45
The 2nd day no deer seen but only hunted till noon
I think deer movement was done on the piece of public land I hunted due to hunter movement.Monday was kinda warm so I think most hunters stuck it on on post being the reason for lack of deer movement
Tuesday it started raining very hard arond 10.I stuck it out till noon thinking hunters moving from post would have the deer moving but no deer seen
This piece of public land has taken its fair share of nice buc but this year the acrons werent there so either were the deer
But Id rather hunt public land the first 2 days because more hunters in the woods useally means more deer seen

The first saturday and monday I hunted private land in 3C
seen 3 anterless deer Saturday before 8am no shots offered

The first monday I seen 13 anterless from 6:45 to 7:45
I scored on a doe at 7:45

I think private lands good in the morning and evening but doesnt have the hunters moving deer that publc land has

No buck seen this season

in 3C I uselly see the same amount of deer every year betwwen 20 and 30 deer uselly only hunt the first 2 days and the 2 saturdays but havent gotten a buck in 5 or 6 years
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Part of the Community

I hunt 4D as well and although i shot a very nice 8 pt. in firearms season the deer herd in my neck of the woods has really been reduced. The amount of shooting for the number of guys in the woods would confirm this.

Philippians 3:10
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt 4D. This has been my best year so far. I saw a lot of deer and I took a 7pt the first week of Oct and my doe a few days later. Both were taken on public land but i did hunt private land with my younger cousin. We saw a few but he couldn't connect. Rifle season wasn't so productive. I was a driver and we only saw 2 legal buck. My uncle got one and it was a nice 10 pt. Overall, less in some areas more in others. The corn fields were a major factor this year.

Catch Photo Release
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 AM

Private land is best in the areas of 3b, 4d, and 2g that i hunt. The deer seem to flock to the agriculture. Find an area with the right mix of agriculture, woodlots, and hillsides and you will have good numbers of deer. Not alot of deer in the deep mountains anywhere. My experience in 3b this year was a fair/huntable mix of buck and doe. The bucks i did see were nice ones. 4d had an excellent amount of doe this year, way more than last year, but far fewer buck this year than any year i have hunted there. 2g proved to have good numbers of both buck and doe this year but the majority of the buck did not make AR's and the ones that did were just down right puny. I run cameras april-january.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page