Hunting, Family, and the way its supposed to be. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hunting, Family, and the way its supposed to be.

I havent been twelve yearsold for a very long time. (26 yrs. to be exact. ) But I do remember with great clarity, the night before my first buck season at my families camp in Southern Clearfield County. lets just say i was so worked up that I was vomiting and visiting the bathroom very often. My mom and I thought I had the flu, dad KNEW I had buck fever. I killed a beautiful 8 pt. at 8:30 opening morning after about forty deer filed past our treestand. I got pretty worked up over that buck, and so did my dad. I had spent two opening days previous to that in the same stand with dad. Never made it past 7:30 either of those years. Dads good shooting made sure of that. To say we had a good spot was an understatement. Many years later, Im older of course and so is dad. Artheritis, and cancer have made their marks on dad. A family of my own has put me in the position dad was in years ago with me on that windy morning I killed my first buck. Regardless, we still hunt and hunt often. Dad is still my best friend. We are going to Colorado on a guided elk hunt this year. First time with an outfitter. I lived in Montana for several years, and dad made the pilgrimage west more than once. We are not strangers to elk or hunting them. However, Dad told me this may be the last hurrah for his elk hunting for health reasons. It kills me to think it might be true. But it makes me that much more determned to ensure his success. I am dedicated to give him back what he gave me so many years ago. A burning passion for the outdoors and all things wild. I love you dad, and hats off to you. We will give' em [censored] in Colorado. Updates to follow fellas , and thanks for reading this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
The Man

Re: Hunting, Family, and the way its supposed to be.

Very nice Mike. Good luck in taking an Elk. By reading this I know the memories will be great.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good luck, just a suggestion, don't necessarily base the success of the hunt on a kill. Make every moment count, and take lots of pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

Good luck
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

In the same boat as you Mike and I understand how you feel. I too lived in Montana for a while(went to college at U of M....go Griz!) but ended back here in PA for work and now family. My dad's 76 yrs old and my brother's and I went elk hunting with him in Wyoming(my one brother lives in Cody and the rest of us flew in to join him) this past fall. He was the only one with an elk tag and I burned 3 precious personal days from work to go on this elk hunt ......and I wasn't even hunting. But it was well worth it!

You never know when the last hunt together will occur and it does sadden me knowing the years of hunting together are limited. At 12 years old, you feel the hunts with dad, other family members, and friends will go on for a thousand years........

This past elk hunt might be the last time that dad and all my brothers were together on a hunt....but I hope not. He's still in pretty good shape and can hike quite a bit, even after stints and prostate cancer.

His dream has always been to take a bull elk on a DIY hunt with us. We had a great time and lots of laughs this past fall, even though he didn't harvest an elk. We'll try again next year.

Cherish every day you can spend with your family hunting or other wise and good luck to you and your dad this coming fall.

Oh, and I second the importance of pictures.....

Dad glassing for elk......

Dad on a late and long walk out the trailhead.......

Elk camp, October 2011........

Dad with 3 of his 4 sons in Wyoming elk country......

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 AM
RB
Sage

God Bless Mike, nice post...i hope it all falls into place.

My dad is 71 and we always figured we would get that type of hunting adventure in someday, I am not so sure....we still hunt PA, but never did a trip.

GO GETTUM!!

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Montana Mike and Huntman you guys have it spot on! Hunting for most of us is a family tradition. My father who raised me has passed on to the Happy Hunting Grounds but I always reflect on him when I'm out hunting. I love him for so many things but especially for introducing me to fishing, hunting, and the great outdoors. I wish your fathers success this year and I hope they shoot the bull of their dreams. GOD bless and happy hunting!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Very nice read, I wish the two of you the best of luck.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 AM

I hope you both have the hunt of a life time. I got to hunt with my dad for 6 years before leaving for the Army, and when I returned home after a few years, health problems had taken their toll on him, and he just gave it up. He passed away two years ago, but he made sure I was woods wise early on, and gave me all the right tools to be successful. Good luck Mike.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

enjoy and cherish every minute with your dad. ain't nothing i wouldn't do for one more day afield with dad. its been almost 4 years now since he passed on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page