Thoughts on this old quote - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts on this old quote

Every once in awhile I'll put a quote I come across into my hunting journals. This one is pretty old and is from Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine back in the 80's. I didn't make note of the author, but I guess I thought enough of the quote at the time to write it down. Thought it might make for some interesting conversation...

"Unfortunately too much emphasis is put on the trophy set of antlers, and this can lead to hunters losing sight of sportsmanship. I have known of champion trophy heads which were shot by unethical means such as spotlighting or hounding with dogs. The head adorns the wall of a home simply to satisfy human ego. Antlers should not be a simple status symbol. They should serve as a reminder of days spent hunting, whether it be that particular buck or the whole host of hunting memories."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Sage

Re: Thoughts on this old quote

In my opinion, too many hunters celebrate the hunter or themselves with regards to large antlers rather then celebrating the beauty of the animal that held them.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 AM

i tell folks it's a game. whats the sense in winning if you don't follow the rules?

but i know that it falls on deaf ears many times.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Awesome quote and very true. Being a younger hunter I can say from experience that it is really hard to avoid getting caught in the bone frenzy that blasts us at every turn of the page or channel.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 AM
New Arrival

That's why the emphasis should be put on the age of the deer and not just the antler size. If you are a seasoned hunter then you should know that the older the deer, the harder it is to beat it at the game. For me, the older the deer, the happier I am with the harvest. 1 1/2 yr. olds are much easier to fool into a shot.

"Become stewarts of the land. Give back to that from which you take."
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy
In my opinion, too many hunters celebrate the hunter or themselves with regards to large antlers rather then celebrating the beauty of the animal that held them.
+1

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubl-lungr-john
That's why the emphasis should be put on the age of the deer and not just the antler size. If you are a seasoned hunter then you should know that the older the deer, the harder it is to beat it at the game. For me, the older the deer, the happier I am with the harvest. 1 1/2 yr. olds are much easier to fool into a shot.
Exactly. That's why my goal every year is to kill bucks 2 1/2 or older. And if it happens to have a really nice rack, that's an added bonus.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefromthesky
"Unfortunately too much emphasis is put on the trophy set of antlers, and this can lead to hunters losing sight of sportsmanship. I have known of champion trophy heads which were shot by unethical means such as spotlighting or hounding with dogs. The head adorns the wall of a home simply to satisfy human ego. Antlers should not be a simple status symbol. They should serve as a reminder of days spent hunting, whether it be that particular buck or the whole host of hunting memories."
Great Quote

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM
The Man

Humans have a way of enjoying something and then destroying it with overkill. They'll plan the havesting of the great buck, and then pack on forty overweight pounds in the preparation.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page