Conflicting feelings about hunting this year. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Conflicting feelings about hunting this year.

This was a strange year for me. I satarted a new job, and was working alot of hours. Consequently, my desire level was no where near what it usually is when bow season arrived. I wasnt really into it at all through archery and even buck season. For some reason I was all pumped up for late season here in 2b. We killed some deer this past week, and as I sit here butchering my most recent doe...Im back back in the saddle and as ready as ever to get out some more. Just dont understand why I wasnt into it earlier in the year. Maybe its the snow coming down, or the Colorado elk hunt we just booked. I just know Im not ready for the season to be over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Re: Conflicting feelings about hunting this year.

Sometimes it takes a little spark to get the motor running. I don't know about you, but with all the different things going on in my life, kids, work, bills to pay, and stress in general, I tend to lose sight of things that I enjoy. Priorities in general I guess is what I'm trying to say. I always try to get everything out of the way by the first of October, so I can hunt as much as I can and not feel like I'm loosing sight of my priorities.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 PM
The Man

Ive been like that also usually im getting ready to clse my business for the season and worrying about last minute jobs to boost my cash flow. This year was real diferent, i lost my dad in mid sept. I closed down early and hunted alsmost everyday of early muzzy season, had plenty of oppertunity but didnt squeeze the trigger. I enjoyed the woods so much this year gaining an inner peace and enjoyed the hunt instead of the kill. Hunting 3 states i did fine but hunting really help me get my head back on straight. I listened to my neighboring friends in Pa. complaining when rifle season came in, i was glad to see it go out for that reason. Rifle season there has became a hassle everyone seen this particular buck before season and had there name on it. Get mad because joe hunter down the road got it and jealous of someone else. I might not have a freezer full of deer meat i dont care anyway or a box full of big racks. But there wasent to many people that was succesful as i was this year hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It just seems like Im after the local doe herd with a vengeance all of a sudden.. and burning through tags. Funny thing is we have been putting multiple legal bucks up almost at will. Gonna take the flinter out sooner or later.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wish I knew why this happens? Some years I'm gung ho months before seasons arrive and some years I'm just not that into it until it gets here. Happens with archery, turkey, fishing, and even the "christmas spirit". Once the season gets here and I get out in the woods I have as much fun as ever but wonder why I wasn't as excited ahead of time?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Spot on OP...I felt the exact same way this year. Our daughter was born on Oct. 6 so my prep and enthusiasm during archety was way down. But I have been looking forward to the late season like you and the enthusiasm is way up. I think it has something to do with big events that maybe shift priorities a bit. It sounds like you had some of those, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. In fact, it's probably healthy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Elk
Hooked on HuntingPa

Your getting older and the BLOOD LUST is gone,now get out and enjoy THE HUNT .I cant tell you how many deer I pass up all season lomg and then scramble to fill tags For making all my Specialty items. And it seems to happening this year again...Also Mike ,the bigger hunts seem to be a commonn factor. When i go on a hunt or have one planned it lessens the drive for hunting around here
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
The Man

Some years are up and then some are down. This was a down year for me. Didn't see one deer during the archery season! I always see deer when out there! Seen deer the first day of the rifle season. Which made me stay out longer than I wanted too. Then in one second, my season changed. In the words of my father that always kept me wanting to stay, even though I wanted to go. You never know! Like Elk says, enjoy the hunt, you don't need to kill something to enjoy what your doing, even though its the purpose we are out there!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 AM
New Arrival

I understand what your saying. I have years were I'm all fired up and hunt every chance I get, and some years that I don't hardly get out at all, literally have to drag myself out. Can't explain why it happens it just does. This year was one of those ho-hum years until early Nov. went out bow hunting and saw 4 different bucks in one afternoon! Only one was legal but it lit a fire that hasn't gone out yet this year. I've been deer hunting like crazy, in fact headed out tomorrow for some 2B doe hunting with a friend. I got bit by the archery bug so bad this year that I'm buying a new bow! Hang in there Mtn. Mike life is full of ups and downs, keep hunting when you can, even when you have to drag yourself out, it's all good.

Hunt hard, your dinner depends on it.
Home 2B
Hunt 2B-2G-2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page