New Antler Restriction Problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

New Antler Restriction Problem

Here is the setup.
I do most of my deer hunting in Potter County, the Conrad area. Been hunting there since the mid 70ís. If you have hunted that area you know that you can find yourself 1 to 3 miles from a road pretty quickly. The issue is not antler restriction, I started practicing that long before it was mandated. Deer population very low for a lot of reasons, thatís a whole other topic. I have been lucky enough to harvest a 9 point last year and a 7 point this year, both being respectable not huge 15Ē or so inside spreads.

The problem
The problem is twofold size of the deer and my age. These buck were both in the 140 pound range field dressed. I was lucky enough not being way back in where I have shot buck in the past. Dragging uphill would not have been an option alone.

I was just wondering if any of you are experiencing this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 PM
The Man

Re: New Antler Restriction Problem

Hunt with a buddy or get a deer cart of some sort.

2F for a while...
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Yep. At age 70 it isn't as easy as it used to be.
Fortunately I have a couple of younger guys who hunt with me who insist upon my carrying a radio and they come to help me drag mine out when I get one. What was it Crocodile Dundee said about "Mates?" They are pretty handy to have around at such times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I also hunt by myself and a deer cart is the best thing there is at my age.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 PM
The Man

The Unstated Problem

The universal problem of hunters as we age. Hunters aging into their thirties, forties and fifties and more, and still hunting.
It's not the area of a 20 year old fit paratrooper.

Unless we maintain our physical fitness, we'll become like the many Americans who gained twenty pound or more in the last ten years and are getting more and more out of shape.
They have no problems of dragging a deer out of the woods; hauling a climbing tree stand into and out of the woods; climbing trees. Most Americans have hikes scheduled for the local convenient store or mall.

Why an old man of forty could get lost in a forest?
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Its not just Potter county...I hunt in 4a and I was about 1.85 miles from the vehicle when I shot my 11 point this year. He was massive weighed in at 165lbs dressed out. My dad was with me but the drag was awful...It wasnt up hill it was flat but thick with little trail most of the way...I shot him at 10:45 and we didnt get that deer out of there until 6:00pm

I am 32 my dad is 60...If i was there by myself it would have been midnight...That deer was a mature beast...It was just hard to move. Lets say i invested in a deer cart although i dont know how much it would help and I got a drag sled this year too.

Although I hated being that far back in...I will hunt there again although...I have decided another buck that big will be Quartered and taken out on backpack. That is one thing to consider get a rack pack and some Alaskan game bags.

I do agree though bucks are getting heavier I wish there would be a way for the GC or DCNR to open a few more roads on the First day and the saturdays to give guys a fighting chance. Maybe the only way to use the road would be for game recovery or something. Where I hunt there are usually roads just they are all gated.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

it has affected my hunting for sure. i never had a problem walking way back in, down the mountain hollows for deer. now i very carefully consider my spots. some spots are "nice buck only" spots. others are "anything legal" spots. deer carts don't help much where i hunt. to many rocks and logs. i will be heading to camp in two weeks to scout some "nice buck only" spots way down a ridge from the parking area. all uphill drag through 20 year old trees. the quartering thing sounds good in theory but is tough to do without skinning them first and not making a mess of it.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions, this post was just poking some fun at us aging hunters. A cart really dosenít work in the areas I hunt as well, to steep, no roads of any sort.

Wishing a happy and prospers New Year to all. Please donít forget donít measure your hunt by the meat in the freezer, take the time and really see what the big guy has provided us with, enjoy the fellowship, these memories will be there long after the meat is gone.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Two words for you PLASTIC SLED
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom726
I do agree though bucks are getting heavier I wish there would be a way for the GC or DCNR to open a few more roads on the First day and the saturdays to give guys a fighting chance. Maybe the only way to use the road would be for game recovery or something. Where I hunt there are usually roads just they are all gated.
Be careful what you wish for. If they would open the roads then you have lots of company and then you would ask...why all the hunters?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page