Deer Sightings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Deer Sightings

How would you rank these human factors in the amount of deer you see where you hunt and how you hunt?

A) Hunting Pressure (people moving to and from stands)
B) Hunter movement because of being antsy or bored
C) Lack of hunter movement due to better clothing helping them sit longer
D) Drives in the surrounding area
E) Still hunters moving deer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Deer Sightings

F: Simply no one else out there in 3A/2F...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

A) has killed me the most. ive had more hunts bunged up by guys ignoring the wind, crossing wide open fields in the dawn hours, pulling out at 10am when a buck has been coming through that area at that time.

I think I am starting to solve that problem though, its not how you would expect.

B) doesnt much apply

C) doesnt much apply

D) I think this has a lot to do with how successful a lot of guys are either relying on guys moving deer they would otherwise not see, being part of the drive or near it. I PERSONALLY dont think its a very sporting way to shoot a deer but nothing I can do to change it.

E) I dont know of anyone very successful with it, most guys move too fast. Just look at how people enter the woods. Show up 20 minutes before daylight, sprint to an area, make all kinds of rukus. Have gear that sounds like crap by not putting effort into silencing it. I could go on here

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Wiz

I always try to get to my stand as early as possible when planning on sitting all day especially on the 1st day and the Saturdays when most folks are in the woods. If I do decide to take a walk, I make sure I am on stand between 1100 and 1400 to catch the those being moved by the lunch crowd.

I also typically hunt escape routes during rifle season to catch what people are bumping out.

Where I hunt in Georgia, this isn't even an issue as most people hunt from treestands and only leave for lunch then come back. I try to hunt until most other people around me are already out of their stands.

I think patience is more of an issue than getting cold. I personally feel that getting cold is just one of the factors that are used to justify moving when hunters are bored.

If its driven correctly, it can help and if driven incorrectly it may taint the spot for a few days.

I believe that most hunters don't really even know what still hunting is. I've only came across one or two hunters in the woods who know what they are doing when it comes to still hunting so I consider most folks "still hunting" methods as walking.

Where I typically hunt in rifle season in PA, there are not a lot of brows or mast so I rely on people moving the deer unless I am still hunting. Where I hunt in GA, I see the deer moving on their own without the presence of humans.

One human induced factor that I think was left out was shooting at deer. On more than several occasions, I have killed deer after someone else already shot one or at one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
The Man

B. for me.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewaterguide
How would you rank these human factors in the amount of deer you see where you hunt and how you hunt?

This is a trick question because there are no deer left in PA. You are starting to ask alot of questions and surveys. It reminds me of a guy that used to post on here...what was his name...oh yeah... Buckdemiser...That was it...

As to your question they all affect where and how I hunt. It doesn't matter to me why they are moving just that they are moving and where they are going to.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
The Man

Quote:
. It doesn't matter to me why they are moving just that they are moving and where they are going to.

Genesis 27:3
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Buckdemiser may have gotten loose for a while, but at least this is a constructive post
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

B & D for me. I get to my stand way before light, and if I see deer early, it due to hunters moving to and from stand. I shoot a lot of deer between 10:30 and 1:30, I'm assuming due to guys become antsy and/or cold or walking from the the woods to their trucks for lunch and then returning. I also see a fair number of deer due to guys putting on drives, particularly on saturdays in rifle season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page