My 2011 season struggle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

My 2011 season struggle

Haven't had the time to type up a story. However, tonight offered me a little break.

My season this year has been a roller coaster to say the least. More lows than highs though. Archery season (my true passion) was difficult considering I've moved to a new area and now must learn a new spot. I was lucky and harvested doe during early archery season (WMU5C) season. Still my sightings on mature bucks were way down. Determined I kept hunting. What made my archery season extremely difficult was my work schedual. I was starting an hour or two before sun down and working till roughly 4 am. Sometime my heart told me when I got home just to drop everything and get in the stand, but my body was saying sleep. Several occasions however, I did go out. Getting home at 5am, I would drink a cut of coffee then put my camo on, greet my wife to the new day (even though it still felt like the day before to me because of no sleep), and head out. Mornings that yielded not a single deer sighting were very difficult to swallow. Towards the rut I started to frgure them out. I had a screw up on a nice 120" ten pt and got a good look at a really nice 130's 9pt, but distance was an issue their. I also passed a few smaller buck. Archery came and went without a shot at a shooter buck.

Firearm season stated off horrible (as it may have for most).My father was sick with a bad cold so he did not hunt with me this year. That really just stunk to start off. So opening day it was just my brother and I back in my old home of Bucks County. It just felt good to be back in my old stands again. Seeing the same trees I've watched grow for the past 16yrs since I've hunted there. Considering the days high of 65ish little deer movement was apparent. I only saw a heard of 4or5 wayyyy off running. My brother though saw a spike and several doe (funny cause normally I see more, a trade though I have no problem with lol). Tuesday It poured. Not just some light rain nope pouring rain. Again, I toughed it out and still nothing. By Weds I was back at work again. At this time I've starting to bite my nails really short. I was really hoping for a shot at a nice buck this year. I didn't harvest a buck last year, due to being too picky (my fault). Though it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't shoot a buck. Would still be a successful season considering I'm now hunting in a new arca with much potential. The next time I found myself in the stand it was the first Saturday (back in Bucks Co) and finally some cold weather. Because of the early October snow we had I had a lot of limbs and tops fall off in this area I hunt. I mean a significant amount. So it ended up taking me a little longer to get to this spot. This spot if any deer are down below me and then get spooked they have to run up towards me. I guess you could call it a funnel. As daylight broke over the frost covered woods the shots start. Soon, I start to fade them out. Memories of all the great hunts I've had in this area take over. All the amazing whitetail behavior I've witnessed from here. It's a spot I hold dear. Abruptly my thought train was broken when two shots rang out below me. They weren't too close, but not too far. The closest shots so far of the morning. Although, it only being 0645 the morning still had a lot of time left. I just as usual took note of the shots and continued to observe the landscape. No sooner at 0715 I heard steps coming. Now this spot I can see a great distance. It is very possible to see 200yds down from up in the tree. I laugh because normally I can see them coming, but this deer kinda caught me off gaurd. I heard the steps before I saw the deer. After it showed itself I brought up the binos. When I got my first look at this buck I was looking though a downed tree top. Establishing that it was a legal buck I put the binos down and picked up my slug gun. He only had 10yds more to walk and I would have a total clear shot at 60yds. In the mix of his trotting and fast walking I loudly gave a meaaah. The second he stopped I saw 3 really nice long tines with more on the other side. So I found the shoulder crease and slowly squeezed. Upon impact he bucked and ran! For fear that I missed him (not knowing I did infact make a great shot) I worked the action and put another right on him. When he got hit the 2nd time he stopped. His footing became loose. Waving back and forth he went down. Fist pumps hit the air!! A HUGE relief was lifted off my shoulders. Everyone knows this feeling. I couldn't wait another second. I had to get down and check him out. Unloading the gun I said a prayer. Last year was the first time I didn't harvest a deer since I was 13yrs old. This was the feeling I needed. Marking were the first shot was I got their with ease. To my suprise a blood trail that probably could could of been seen on google earth. I followed it 60yds to where my buck lay. He is a main frame 8 with both brows busted. His left brow only has about an inch and a quater left and his right was busted at the base. Making him a 7pt. His left G3 and main beam are busted also. If the left would match his right he'd be missing about 2" on his G3 and maybe another 2" on his left main beam. Spread was 15" inside. I didn't get a chance to score him yet. His G2 on his left side is about 10&1/2" long. I was pretty impressed with that. To be honest I did not think he was that big when I had him in the crosshairs. Dosen't really matter though. Putting your hands on your a hard earned accomplishment makes all those sleepless mornings worth it. I was even more proud when my dad told me how proud she was of me for hanging tough and sticking with it. Two of several traits he has taught me. [img][/img]

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: My 2011 season struggle

Great buck and story!

Catch Photo Release
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:01 AM

Awesome buck and story, congrats!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It's nice when hard work pays off. Good job. Take a typing class, your dad would be proud!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 AM
Sage

nice.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:45 AM
Regular Visitor

Hamburger, how big was your buck?

Your comment was not needed!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 AM

nice......
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great story and buck, congrats!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Part of the Community

Awesome story. nice buck..congrats!

If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Congratulations....and nice story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page