Originally Posted by bclev
Can someone give me some info. on how the preference points work?
Each state is different and even within a given state it can vary from species to species and unit to unit. But a "pure" preference system give preference to a specific number of points. For example, maybe 12 points or more are required for a particular species in a specific unit. If you don't have at least 12 points then you can't get a tag. If there are 75 tags and 100 people have 12 points then a drawing is held. The unlucky 25 will be guaranteed a tag the following year.
Then you have a bonus point system. No one is guaranteed a tag, all tags are on a drawing basis. The more bonus points you have the more chances you have. Anyone can draw even their 1st year. States like Nevada square your bonus points each year, 1 the first year, 2 the second year, 4 the third, 16 the fourth. So anyone can get a tag but the more years you have your chances are very substantially better than someone only putting in for 1 or 2 years.
A lot of states, Wyoming for example on some species, use a modified preference system. Maybe 75% of the tags will automatically go to those with x number of preference points but the remaining 25% will be on a bonus point drawing. So you can draw the first year but those with a bunch of years will have a better chance.
Some states (species dependent) you have to buy a license first before applying, others you can just apply without a license. Some states (species dependent) you can buy a point without entering that years drawing, just accumulating points until you're ready to go.
All of the above also has to factored into the resident/non-resident allocations too.