Hunting in the WEST, Wyoming,Montana etc - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hunting in the WEST, Wyoming,Montana etc

Anyone get out WEST hunting this year, if so did you do any good? Hopefully working on getting a trip for next season to Wyoming, maybe for antelope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Hunting in the WEST, Wyoming,Montana etc

I was out in Wyoming for the rifle deer season this year. My buddy shot a real nice 9 point. I missed a MONSTER!(yeah, I know,Fish story). Ended up shooting a doe with 5 minutes left in legal shooting time on the last day we were out there. Had a blast and learned a lot. ! We did not have antelope tags,or We would have had shooting on those as well.

Remington:700x2,870,788
Ruger Redhawk 44,SP101.357
Marlin .22
NRA
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM
The Man

I was in Colorado 3rd season had a bad trip. Got sick and lost my hunt. Trying not to think about it. Bulding prefernce points for Wyoming trying to get a deer tag this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not trying to hijack your post or anything, but I am planning on taking my oldest boy on a trip when in graduates in two years. A muley/antelpoe trip would be great. Leaning toward Wyoming, and would appreciate some tips if anyone can help.

Squirrel, it's what's for dinner.

"OLD SCHOOL", that's how I roll.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:46 PM

We hunted in Wyoming this year for deer and antelope. The amount of animals we saw was down from '09 when we were there last. There were 2 hard winters and they had an infection of "blue tongue" in the antelope herd. We filled a third of our tags, but we had a good time and plan to return in '13.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was in Wyoming this year for rifle deer whitetail/mule deer. We hunted in the Black Hills National Forest on a do it yourself camping trip. I had a good time but did not see the type of bucks I was hoping to see. Apparently the last two or three hard winters really knocked them back. Saw alot of skulls back in the canyons. We had ten hunters in our group and five took bucks. Most of the bucks the guys took would not have been legal in PA. It was cool terrain and I had a good time, but if I do it again I would prefer to pay to hunt one of the ranches. I saw some monster mulies and a real nice buck on private land outside of Hullete. Talked to some guys from Gettysburg and they pay a rancher to hunt. They took some nice animals.

Do your Sportin in Wharton, Potter County, PA
2G,4B,5A
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Can someone give me some info. on how the preference points work?

Squirrel, it's what's for dinner.

"OLD SCHOOL", that's how I roll.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclev
Can someone give me some info. on how the preference points work?
Each state is different and even within a given state it can vary from species to species and unit to unit. But a "pure" preference system give preference to a specific number of points. For example, maybe 12 points or more are required for a particular species in a specific unit. If you don't have at least 12 points then you can't get a tag. If there are 75 tags and 100 people have 12 points then a drawing is held. The unlucky 25 will be guaranteed a tag the following year.

Then you have a bonus point system. No one is guaranteed a tag, all tags are on a drawing basis. The more bonus points you have the more chances you have. Anyone can draw even their 1st year. States like Nevada square your bonus points each year, 1 the first year, 2 the second year, 4 the third, 16 the fourth. So anyone can get a tag but the more years you have your chances are very substantially better than someone only putting in for 1 or 2 years.

A lot of states, Wyoming for example on some species, use a modified preference system. Maybe 75% of the tags will automatically go to those with x number of preference points but the remaining 25% will be on a bonus point drawing. So you can draw the first year but those with a bunch of years will have a better chance.

Some states (species dependent) you have to buy a license first before applying, others you can just apply without a license. Some states (species dependent) you can buy a point without entering that years drawing, just accumulating points until you're ready to go.

All of the above also has to factored into the resident/non-resident allocations too.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Washington point system goes like this... Every year you dont draw, you get another name/point in the drawing. The more points you have the better your odds are of drawing. People have drawn great tags year after year with only one point, some people go many years with out drawing, it just all on luck. I drew my Cow tag this year with 11 points. kinda crazy it took so many years to get it, but that is just how it goes! Oregon's draw is very close to how Washington does it.

V10 advocate
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've been Lope hunting in Wyoming the last 2 years on PUBLIC land. Last year I saw TONS..and only hunted 2 hours and shot a good one! This year we hunted 4 days and saw 9 lopes and only ONE small buck. Spoke to a local in the area we hunted and he even said EVERYTHING..Lopes..deer and game birds took a hit ovr the winter! I think we are going to sit out this coming year!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page