Last Day Success - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Last Day Success

My fiance' and i headed to the stand for the last day of rifle season. We talked on the way over to our hunting property and decided that we were going to try to get a doe to put some meat in the freezer. We were all bundled up as it was in the low 20's in the morning. We go to our stand at around 6:30 and settled in for the days hunt. We had vitually no activity the first few hours of the day. The only thing that was moving were the horses the farmer let out to graze in the field below us. At 10am I looked off to my left and seen three does making there way along the fence line. The problem was the farmer let the horses out so the deer were in between us and the horses, so we were unable to get a shot. We watched those does feed off without being able to get a shot. Well a about a half hour or so passed and wouldn't you have it 5 more does took the same exact path as the does that passed earlier. That would only be our luck. Then a little time past and we heard a shot relatively close by which ended up being my brother harvesting a nice doe. We saw a few more does feed through the grapevine thicket and was waiting for them to come our way. But before they did my fiance said "look there's a good buck." I couldn't see it at the time so I told her "if its a nice buck take the shot." So I watched her take aim and finally noticed the deer. She fired a shot and the deer just stood there 130 yards away chomping on some berries that were still left on the grapevines. So she put in another shell and the buck was starting to spook. It was taking her a while to find the buck in her scope again but she finally did and she went to fire again but it just went click.(when she ejected the first shell she did not pull the bolt back far enough to kick a new shell in the chamber). So i pulled up my gun and got settled in and squeezed of a round. I watched the buck rare up in the air and i knew he was hit. We lost site of him in the thicket so we crawled out of our stands and walked huridly over to where he was at. Unfortenately i ended up making terrible shot, taking out both of his back legs. My fiance pulled up and finished it off in a timely manor. She was so very excited and so was I. This was our first nice buck together. So we are going to get it mounted so we can share this memory for a lifetime. It ended up being a main frame 8pt with 2 kickers off its right side making it a ten point. Not the biggest buck in the woods but nice enough to ride in the back of my truck!!!

"Buck was tagged immediately after pictures were taken"

[img][/img]

Don't pass up on the first day what you would harvest on the last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Last Day Success

Nice buck!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
New Arrival

Its a pity that it was such a bad shot, its a good looking buck though. Congrats on the kill guys. Memories are always the best when doing something together with someone else, that way its not just a story. Hopefully you two get more bucks like this together, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

nice, congrats!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

Nice deer on any day of the season. Who tagged it?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Regular Visitor

Not the biggest buck,,i sure as [censored] would be very happy with that!!! congrats..hopefully i will get something late bow
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Her tag went on the deer as she put the last shot on it.

Don't pass up on the first day what you would harvest on the last.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM
The Man

That's a great buck! Congrats!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Congrats. Great story and a dandy of a buck!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Congrats to you both!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page