shooting only doe seen all season?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

shooting only doe seen all season??

im going to try and be as politicly correct as i can be as not to offend anyone. thats not the reason for this post. i would just like to understand how a fellow could hunt 5 days of rifle season and see no deer,then on the last day at almost last light see a skinhead and try to shoot her? i personally know people who have done it. i see it on here some? i am perplexed. obviously there are not many deer where your hunting. that doe you just shot could be pregnant with twins. thats 3 deer to see next year?? someone please explain this to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM

Re: shooting only doe seen all season??

Personal choice. It's the American way.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Part of the Community

Meat in the freezer? Bottom line, that isn't the only deer in the area; just the only one he saw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-06boy
im going to try and be as politicly correct as i can be as not to offend anyone. thats not the reason for this post. i would just like to understand how a fellow could hunt 5 days of rifle season and see no deer,then on the last day at almost last light see a skinhead and try to shoot her? i personally know people who have done it. i see it on here some? i am perplexed. obviously there are not many deer where your hunting. that doe you just shot could be pregnant with twins. thats 3 deer to see next year?? someone please explain this to me.
Or it is equally likely since the hunter wasnít seeing any deer that the habitat is so poor it canít support more than very few deer.

If that is the case, and it usually is where there arenít many deer, then he might be saving several deer by killing that one doe he sees. If you carry too many deer into the winter in areas of poor or even marginal habitat it doesnít just have an adverse affect on the extra deer. It has an adverse affect on ALL of the deer. None of the does get enough food and none or very few of them produce healthy fawns. When that happens you have a deer population that is actually in a state of natural population reduction simply because hunters didnít harvest enough deer.

It is just as likely, and perhaps even more likely, that deer populations will decline where hunters donít shoot enough does as it where hunters kill too many does. It is a proven fact that the fastest way to lower deer populations for the long-term future follows periods of keeping mare deer through the winter than the habitat can sustain. Nature guarantees that and it really has nothing to do with the number of does the Game Commission allowed hunters to harvest other than perhaps not allowing the hunters to harvest enough to adequately protect the winter food supplies.

Quite simply not harvesting enough deer is more likely to result in lower long-term deer populations than what occurs from killing too many.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I hunted all 12 days without seeing a deer I still would shoot an anterless deer if I seen one the last hour on the last day.
Even if it was a Button Buck
Theres alot more deer out there then the ones we see
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

If I don't shoot it and it gets hit by a car instead It died anyhow. It isn't a sure thing to make it till next season.
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Regular Visitor

I will answer it this way. Up state on the private land I hunt I already have the mind set that I will not shoot a doe. If I do get a doe tag I wont use it but I hardly do anymore. In 4 days of hunting I did not see a deer and its a shame because I had my mentor hunting son with me for 2 days. In 5B I hunt archery and I know there are a good number deer there. The deer are living around on peoples 5 acre properties. Some hunt most don't...lots of deer. It wont be the case that I hunt and never see deer. These are the type of areas that the deer need thinned out. The deer are eating the shrubs right along peoples houses.

I understand what Dick is saying but I don't agree totally. Yes the deer could destroy their habitat but on flip side if you bring the population way down and the habitat recovers but never ease up on the pressure the population is going to have a hard time recovering.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunt 5 days rifle in PA and see "no deer"? Is the hunter blind? In 26 yrs of hunting, I doubt I have 5-10 days TOTAL of not seeing at least a tail. I went for two walks on public today and saw 16.
Watch who you listen to. They may have had deer all around them and didn't know it.
Not addressed to wood chuck. Not making personal attacks.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Part of the Community

The last Saturday of small game before 1st day of buck we hunt an area roughly 500sq yards. We didnt jump a single deer, however later that evening there about 20 of them feeding out in the field in the same area. The deer are there you just have to find them, rather hunt them.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-06boy
i would just like to understand how a fellow could hunt 5 days of rifle season and see no deer,then on the last day at almost last light see a skinhead and try to shoot her?
My guess is this person hunted five days in an attempt to kill a deer. Killing one at last light on the last day is a trophy well earned.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page