Rifle Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rifle Season

Is anyone else glad this two week madness is over? Thank goodness it is. We need to go baack to the two week buck and three day doe. Two much brown and down mentality. Can't wait till the 26th so I can chase them with my flintlock. Now there's a challenge boys!!

IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Rifle Season

And now you are happy for the brown and down mentality for flintlock season??
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:10 PM
The Man

Yep, rifle season seems to be a hassle anymore. Hunted early muzzy, and bow season enjoyed it very much. I lost my dad sept. 21, and had and still have a hard time dealing with it. I took to the woods and found a lot of inner peace. I actually hunted several days of early muzzy a fair amount of bow season with 3 doe tags but didnt take the shot leaving several deer walk. What i found was a special peace and enjoyed every day of it because it was about the hunt. Thinking back in early 70's my dad teaching me to hunt in these same woods it was very special. Now we get in to rifle season with the orange army, frinds lying to each other, famlies not speaking during season, road hunter, etc. I did enjoy my whole season though, hope everyone was succesful as i was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICAREDOYOU
And now you are happy for the brown and down mentality for flintlock season??
Not sure bout where you hunt but up here, where the guys that have been hunting the flintlock season since it began take it very seriously, at least the guys I hunt with it is not nor ever has been about that sort of thing. We still try to target bucks as the norm but do shoot a doe here and there, as long as she's an old "horse head". I have seen a few guys come into my old store the night before the flintlock season and try to buy a rifle...they were told we were out and the displays were on hold for other customers. To pigeon whole the late season like that to me just isn't cool. I have practiced alot with my flintlock over the years (even woodchuck hunted with it on many occasions) and have developed muscle memory with my flinters so when I'm carrying one in the field it is unconcious movement to me to do the things needed to carry one and make sure it goes boom on the first touch of the trigger. Are there guys that buy one just so they could get out more and hopefully shoot one more deer?...sure, but those guys don't worry me too much as most couldn't hit water with a flintlock if they were standing in a boat.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
Yep, rifle season seems to be a hassle anymore. Hunted early muzzy, and bow season enjoyed it very much. I lost my dad sept. 21, and had and still have a hard time dealing with it. I took to the woods and found a lot of inner peace. I actually hunted several days of early muzzy a fair amount of bow season with 3 doe tags but didnt take the shot leaving several deer walk. What i found was a special peace and enjoyed every day of it because it was about the hunt. Thinking back in early 70's my dad teaching me to hunt in these same woods it was very special. Now we get in to rifle season with the orange army, frinds lying to each other, famlies not speaking during season, road hunter, etc. I did enjoy my whole season though, hope everyone was succesful as i was.
Very sorry to hear about your loss. I do know what you mean, I learned to hunt from my grandfather, and the first season without him was both rough, and a way to feel close to him again. It would have been nice if rifle season weren't so wild and woolly, but it is what it is.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Sage

I enjoy the rifle season, for the most part. If I didn't, I might consider staying home.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

No, not at all. I am quite selective in what I shoot. Most guys give the excuse," I could't tell it was a button buck" They just don't take the time to look for fear of someone else getting their deer.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

X2 It is an art and takes alot of practice!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Flinter season is fantastic unless you are one of the "Must fill tags" guys.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I love rifle season... I love archery season... shoot I love every hunting season. Anytime I can get out in the woods I'm having a blast.
Archery is much more a solo thing... its about me and the woods and deer.
Rifle is about the crew. It's about trying to get a guy on a deer who hasn't dropped the hammer on one in years. It's about tryin to help a guy/girl get their first deer under their belt. Post hunt activities... sittin round after dark and tellin stories about every hunt we can recall together... yeah I like rifle season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page