deer season 2011 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

deer season 2011

well for the first time in several years i was able to take the whole first week off. me and my boys headed up thanksgiving night and had a good weekend relaxing and cutting firewood.

my brother got in sunday afternoon and we all hit the woods early on monday. one twin went with my brother and one went with me.
this year i was hunting with my new 7600 carbine in 35 whelen and my one son was using a 760 carbine in '06 we bought off a fellow HPA'er.

the other son was using my marlin 336 SDT 30/30 and my brother as always hunted with his 10" 30/30 contender pistol.

first day was nice weather where we hunt on SF in 4A and there was some shooting around us but i only knew of 1 doe being taken. none of us saw any deer which was pretty disappointing. next morning we hunted in a downpour for a few hours and then put the guns away and went for a nice drive in the countryside and ate snacks and pop. not an ideal way to spend the 2nd day but there was absolutely no action and i had to take my boys home that afternoon for school anyway.

Wednesday my brother and i hunted an area we used to hunt many years ago. i had a herd come by mid-morning with 2 small bucks in it. i really wish my boys were with me then but not the case. i had a doe tag but really wanted to hold out for a buck.
My brother went home wednesday and i was solo the rest of the week. unfortunately it looked like everyone else in the county went home too because there was no one in the woods on thursday and i saw nothing.

friday i decided to hunt the mountain top i had scouted the past few years. i knew the deer moved through there naturally but it is really thick. i was on stand by 6:30 and about 8:20 i saw some deer off to my right. the first one was tiny. i kept scoping for a buck while they poked around but no luck. i decided at that point to pick out a decent sized doe and shot it with my whelen.

Not a huge one but definitely good eating size. i got it back to the truck and hunted for a buck the rest of the day but no luck. when i got back to camp i decided to skin it and was really surprised how easy it came off when it was warm. i usually let them hang a few days but not anymore. warm skinning is a LOT easier than cold.

i hunted saturday and saw zero again. not a great way to end the week but thats the way it has been for the past 7 or 8 years around there.

got up sunday and quartered the deer and got it packed in the cooler.

closed down camp for the year and headed home to butcher the deer.

it was a great trip to camp. and deer or no deer, i wish i was going to be sitting here tomorrow morning instead of at home.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM
The Man

Re: deer season 2011

Great story, looks like you had a relaxing vacation. Congrats on the doe!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great reading...thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Sage

Looks like you made short work of the butchering.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

ya it was perfect hanging temp from friday - Sun. high 20's at night and high 30's daytime. the meat was easy to quarter and butcher. much better than last year when i had two deer with hides on frozen into a solid block. those deer ended up being all jerky and stew meat.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Congrats!Nice story!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks like a great time!Congrats!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Nice story and pictures. Nice on the Whelen and 30.30 too. Sounds like a great time by all.....later
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sweet ! I too love a doe that size for eating, natures perfect protein ! I am carrying the Whelen tomorrow, I have one more doe tag to fill.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

the other thing i forgot to mention is i was wearing my Howard Leight Impact Sport shooting muffs. they really amplified the forest noise and muffled the shot of the whelen down nicely. i have been losing my hearing over the past few years from too many gunshots while hunting, loud music and power tools so these muffs are the ticket. and they keep your ears warm. $48 shipped from amazon. if anyone is looking for powered shooting muffs, i highly recommend them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page