just a quick question... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

just a quick question...

from what i have gathered in my research i have found that gunting inside city limits of a town is legal with a firearm as long as your 150yrds away from a building. it is pgc law for 150 yrds (witch is a state law) that would override the city law. just curious on if you think that sounds right. i was told by one police officer i was correct, and another argued with me but i didnt want to get into a heap so i just said ok.

give em the shaft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: just a quick question...

hunting not gunting sry hah

give em the shaft!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 AM

you are correct...state law allows it...local towns cannot decide what weapons are legal to hunt with...

if you goto the law section of the forum look at the top posts.."northhampton v. duff" its a case that happened in PA on the subject...many print it and keep it in the truck incase a cop gives them a hard time for hunting with a rifle..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
RTH

follow PGC guidelines unless the local town has an ordinance. Here is a good example, Cranberry Township, PA, Butler County. Rifles are legal but Cranberry has their own ordinance to follow

"
Is hunting permitted in Cranberry Township?
Yes. Shotguns can be used in the Township unless the owner has posted his or her property. You may hunt with a rifle if you have written permission on your person from the property owner. You must have a valid hunting permit and follow the rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Game Commission."
Cranberry Twp
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH
follow PGC guidelines unless the local town has an ordinance. Here is a good example, Cranberry Township, PA, Butler County. Rifles are legal but Cranberry has their own ordinance to follow

"
Is hunting permitted in Cranberry Township?
Yes. Shotguns can be used in the Township unless the owner has posted his or her property. You may hunt with a rifle if you have written permission on your person from the property owner. You must have a valid hunting permit and follow the rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Game Commission."
Cranberry Twp
I'm not sure that is entirely correct. Cranberry Twp, by ordinance, can regulate what weapon is used on Township property but I don't believe they can regulate what weapon is used elsewhere. That would fall under the State law or PGC Regs, like areas where only slug guns are allowed.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

That ordinance isn't worth the paper it is printed on, the twp may not specify legal sporting arms on any land they do not own.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
RTH

You may hunt with a rifle if you have written permission on your person from the property owner.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH
You may hunt with a rifle if you have written permission on your person from the property owner.
You don't need that written permission. The State does not require it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Someone should contact the Cranberry township solicitor.....they (Any township) cannot mandate what weapons are used for hunting within the township period! That falls under State law and the PGC.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I was once cited for hunting (archery) in a township that prohibited hunting. I was going to be fined $300 by the local thief ( magistrate). I then learned of the ruling in Commonwealth court which i believe was referenced in a prior post. I appealed to Common Pleas court and won the case. In a nutshell only one entity regulates hunting in PA. and that is the PGC and as long as you are abiding by the established rules and regs no one can "legally" cite or arrest you. While i am on this subject to a degree some of the local county parks have a program that you may hunt in them, archery, as long as you qualify by the Quality Whitetail association ( I may have butchered their name). They then assign you a place to hunt. I have a problem with them acting as a subordinate to the game commission. Thus I dont hunt in the park. Their buddies get the good spots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page