No doe week? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

No doe week?

You guys that hunt where there's no doe hunting the first week, are you seeing more deer? I wish 4C was that way, deer are getting rarer on the gamelands.

Ps.146:9 "The Lord watches over the sojourners".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Re: No doe week?

I believe the PGC did a study on that to determine if more deer we seen as a result of the split format and if hunter satisfaction increased. The results, if my memory is correct, is that there was no difference.

In the areas I am hunting, it is hunters that are becoming rare. This season, starting about 5-6 years ago, has been surprising. Firearms hunting is kinds resembling archery hunting with the deer moving in natural patterns compared to pressured ones.

Again, this is only my experience from the areas I am hunting.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildatheart
You guys that hunt where there's no doe hunting the first week, are you seeing more deer? I wish 4C was that way, deer are getting rarer on the gamelands.
No, but it hasn't been going on long enough to make a noticible difference. Ask again in five years.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
I believe the PGC did a study on that to determine if more deer we seen as a result of the split format and if hunter satisfaction increased. The results, if my memory is correct, is that there was no difference.

In the areas I am hunting, it is hunters that are becoming rare. This season, starting about 5-6 years ago, has been surprising. Firearms hunting is kinds resembling archery hunting with the deer moving in natural patterns compared to pressured ones.

Again, this is only my experience from the areas I am hunting.
I saw the same thing you are seeing Gene. I see deer out feeding on the first day of firearms season in the middle of the day. Never saw that 15 years ago.

I think 2A will go back to concurrent next year. They split the season and increased the licenses to maintain the same harvest. There is still over 10,000 licenses unsold. Even at last years allocation there would still be a few hundred.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

WildatHeart.......what gamelands are you hunting. I have seen a lot of deer on the gamelands I hunted, just no legal bucks near me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hunt 4B and I see no difference.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICAREDOYOU
I hunt 4B and I see no difference.
Me, either...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM

4D, I'm not seeing any increase in deer on public SGL's thru turkey seasons, archery.....nor private ground I've been hunting in spring/fall turkey, nor rifle deer w/ the camp guys. Overall deer numbers seem down in both, less bucks being seen but interestingly success rate is still about the same this yr out at camp thus far.

I agree w/ others, I think PGC went way overboard on does but still very much a fan of antler restrictions, but w/ time I think numbers will improve if they keep shortened doe seasons but I'd like to see them also slash doe tags in half, minimum. I frankly wouldn't be opposed to no doe hunting for 1-2 yrs. Amazingly they increased the # of tags this yr which was major dissapointment for me.

I know there's deer still around, big thing that effected deer sightings for me this yr was lack of acorns and the posted grounds around crops that they were holing up in. I'm sure that's true a problem for many this season in PA, but I still think there's way less deer than there could/should be in general.

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 PM

In my area of 4D/2G I am seeing a difference in deer numbers. I am not sure if it because there are no hunters or because the doe season is later. I hunted an area of 2G on Saturday and did not see aother hunter in the woods. Plenty of roadhunters but not one soul with boots on the ground. No shooting. I saw 14 does before lunch time and 6 afternoon. I pass 3 gamelands parking areas, on the way to work every morning and saw a total of 4 vehicles today...I have seen more deer total between bear and deer season this year than the last 6 years combined.

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not finding as much deer sign as I used to , could be the warm weather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page