Strange blood trail, feedbk? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Strange blood trail, feedbk?

Hey all,

Well bad luck finally reared it's ugly head on me yesterday, and I lost my 1st buck ever. Wanted to get some feedbk from others as to what they think may have happened as none of my camp guys had ever experienced anything like it in 50+ yrs of hunting.

Basically, half hour after opening light I had a decent buck step out about 100 yards down in the bottom behind my stand//ridge. Guns dead on at 100, no worries about the distance. The deer was standing broadside, I had a good hold on the stand railing, shot appeared to be clear of debris, and the shot felt good. While looking thru the scope, after pulling the trigger I saw what looked like something just shattered/flew right in front of the deer. Deer runs off into the thick stuff, no chance for follow up shot. At first, my heart sunk as I feared I may have hit a little branch a foot in front of the deer and that's what I saw "shatter" thru my scope but at this pt I didn't know for sure.

I waited 30 minutes, climbed down and found the impact spot. No visible blood short of a little piece of flesh on one piece of hair, but there was hair EVERYWHERE. I'm talking, I coulda covered an entire cat w/ the amnt of hair right there at the hit pt, hair appeared to be light brown. Now I'm thinking, with that much hair perhaps that's what I saw "poof" in the air at the deer. I've never seen so much hair an impact site ever.

I started tracking in the direction the deer went very slow, still no blood after 20 yards. I find a few more pieces of hair, see where it crossed the 1st stream. Carefully poke around a little bit then decide to back out since I can't find blood yet and I'm colorblind. It's way early, lots of time yet and I have 2 guys on their way to my spot in 30 minutes to start a drive, no need to rush things.

We meet, go thru what happened, pick up the trail. About 40 yards from impact spot, other side of stream we begin to find little spots of blood (size of pinky nail) about every 1-2 feet. 30 yards further in the thick stuff we see a good sized pool of blood (size of laptop) w/ lots of bubbles and frothy stuff. We feel better about the chances of recovery and resume the trail, taking it slow. We saw where it had crossed another stream, now 100 yards from impact, pass a guy in stand who saw the deer in the direction we went and continued.

Long story short, we tracked that blood for 1.5 miles, blood was steady drops every 1-2 feet, at times would pick up a little, then slow down to usual 1-2 feet, just never increased like you want to see it. We never jumped the deer, no indication it was running, it never layed down, just kept going deeper and deeper into nastier ground. When we saw blood on lil' trees, it wasn't as high as you'd hope it was but wasn't terrible.

It's been a long night for me, sick over the whole thing. We gave it everything we had before losing the blood trail. We did grid searches, from last pt of blood, no dice. It was moving thru really thick stuff, up/down hillsides, across streams, roads, etc. There was no sign that deer was stopping.

After discussing the events, we believe it to have been a deflected branch into the neck. Anyone have any similar experience or be able to provide some feedbk?

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Strange blood trail, feedbk?

i'm thinking you hit it through the brisket, basically a flesh wound. hit one similar last year followed all day and never got another shot at him

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

After reading the op thats what Iam thinking sounds like a brisket hit. Iam betting you will see that buck next year unless it gets taken this year.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comblockshooter
i'm thinking you hit it through the brisket, basically a flesh wound. hit one similar last year followed all day and never got another shot at him
I agree sounds like a hit to the brisket. On another note anybody that hunts any length of time WILL eventually lose one. It happens but sounds like you did all you could to recover the animal. That's all you can do. I have 40 years hunting experience under my belt and have lost TWO myself. I feel your pain.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Definitely not a vital hit, it could still die of an infection. It must have basically been a grazing, if you are in a couple inches on either a brisket or neck shot, that deer would have dropped. Flesh wounds can bleed a lot. Was that 1.5 miles GPS'd or a best guess? Why didn't the other hunter shoot the buck?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
About 40 yards from impact spot, other side of stream we begin to find little spots of blood (size of pinky nail) about every 1-2 feet. 30 yards further in the thick stuff we see a good sized pool of blood (size of laptop) w/ lots of bubbles and frothy stuff.
Only time I ever ran across something like this...massive hair at impact site....minimal blood...frothy/slimey....and kept going and going was with a deer that got hit in the neck. It blew a grapefruit size chunk out of its neck (suspect bullet fragmented on something before it hit) and the windpipe was severed and actually exposed. We eventually ran the deer down and killed it but it was a long haul.

White House moves to ban shredded cheese...Wants to make America grate again.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes I believe you hit the brisket.Deer are tough and he should still be around although he may bed for a day or so.He still needs to feed so go get him.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

rmh181, I commend you on not giving up and attempting to look for the deer,even with a little bit of hair and blood, they deserve every effert to recover them. Like stated here, it happens, at least you gave it your all in trying to recover it.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM
The Man

"we tracked that blood for 1.5 miles"

Good news. You've got one or two great Daniel Boone trackers.

The bad news. It had to be a bad shot. I've seen too many deer pole axed and dropped on the spot by good shots.

Interested in what kind of caliber and cartridge you used?
It was a final ending bad shot, my opinion, but was it deflected and what kind of bullet was possibly deflected?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If deer are not hit in the vitals they can go for miles uphill or downhill..If your bullet has hit anything after leaving the barrel it can throw itself off the point of your aim..It does not matter what you see in the scope a tiny twig may not be visible through a scope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page