All quiet in Southern Potter County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

All quiet in Southern Potter County

I hunted 2G southern Potter all day Friday and Saturday for buck. I only saw 3 occupied camps out of about 30 in the immediate area. I did not see one other hunter in the woods those two days. Only heard about 5 shots all day Saturday. Only saw 2 doe in the woods (I have a tag, but I don't shoot doe). I was really surprised that no one came up for the second week buck/doe hunting. Really could have used some guys in the woods to move the deer around. I guess all the deer I saw during bear season are still hiding in that "deer cave" that they all cram into on Sunday night before the season starts. Still was a nice, cold, quiet day in the woods.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Re: All quiet in Southern Potter County

I didn't make it up this year. Nothing to do with deer population, I still see plenty up there. I just don't really have a good time with the guys at my camp. Fortunately, the vast majority of them only come up for buck, so I have my own place 51 weeks of the year.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Now you've done it, pigstyconrad. Here come the posts about how there are plenty of deer--you're just not walking far enough into the woods. Or how about the ones about all of the big racks we're growing in PA. I hunted the southern end of 4D yesterday. I was in my stand from 5:45 AM until dark. I watched several drives go by me and never saw a deer and heard very little shooting. But, you know what, they'll be a record deer kill this year just like there is every year. I don't mind not shooting a deer if I can see some periodically while I'm hunting. I'm sorry, but I've hunted in very different areas the past 2 years and there aren't many deer left. Just my opinion and I'm not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 PM
The Man

Potter hunters are here from Saturday to Wed and gone now. i expected a lot of shooting Saturday and heard nothing and not because of a lack of deer but a lack of hunters. We saw a few doe yesterday morning but it was so loud that we'd bump them before getting a shot and the watchers just saw brown blurs running past .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was part of a 4 man hunting group this past Thurs and Fri in Southern Potter Co (public land). It has been years since I have hunted upstate but looked forward to something different. Basically the 4 of us would split off at the break of day, still hunt all day, and meet back at the truck well after dark. Totals for the 2 days of hunting for the 4 of us were approx 40 deer. 7 different buck were seen. 2 were missed. One nice 7pt was taken Thurs AM. I personally can't say I saw a lot of deer sign but I did manage to see 9 of the deer (including 2 illegal buck). Seemed like once you found briars you found some deer. None of us saw another hunter but could hear some distant shooting. Overall I thought the hunting was decent - if either buck I saw had a brow we would have all 4 had a opportunity at a buck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunted 3a in Potter with 4 others and we got 3 doe and a spike and a Buttonbuck. First deer for a 12 yr old and also his father. We put drives on 4 out of 5 days and moved plenty of deer. Large areas to cover, but you had to move them out of hiding places.

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:42 AM

Heading up this weekend to finish out my season at camp. Deer or no deer, I can't wait! We'll hunt hard as always and have a ball!

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:44 PM
The Man

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page