What's deer hunting like at Marienville in 2011? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

What's deer hunting like at Marienville in 2011?

I was last there in 1960. Fifty to 100 sighted deer a day was the norm. Hunters everywhere. Camps bustling. The M'ville diner jam-packed all week. War on opening day. Deer running up your shirt sleeves.

From reading some of the posts on these forums, I suspect what I experienced might be ancient history. Is this the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Part of the Community

Re: What's deer hunting like at Marienville in 2011?

Its not very good. The herd in my area is down about 90% since the year 2000. You may hunt several days without seeing a deer. But you have many hunters out there right now trying to shoot an anterless deer & thin the herd even further. But we all know that if you want good deer hunting you have to shoot as many anterless deer as you can. We know that because Gary Ault told us that. Then he gave us a glass of coolaide to drink.& we drank it up
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Sage

Plus most of the area up there is mature forest which is well known to support massive numbers of deer.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i notice about twice the deer this year in the area i hunt than last year. now last year i saw 2 the first 2 days and this year i saw about 6 each day. our group saw some very nice bucks and one very very large buck. about 3 years ago we scored a nice 6 a very respectable 8 and a very nice 11. even tho the deer our down i love to hunt there cause i seen no one in the 2 days i hunted. we do not shoot does up there and im hoping this bucks the first week does the second helps alot and i think it will as i have seen some improvements in other areas.

"some might call that sky bustin, i call it optimisam"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

one thing that makes me sick is the gas well roads everywhere. there are some places we hunt that are close to a mile from the nearest public road and when you trek back in and see a blood trail and drag to a locked road where a deer was loaded up it kinda makes you mad. i know these well guys have a gun in the passenger seat and pop deer all the time. that really bothers me. that and the fact that it is not a forest anymore its just a maze of roads.

"some might call that sky bustin, i call it optimisam"
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
Plus most of the area up there is mature forest which is well known to support massive numbers of deer.
Also the areas that are clearcut are fenced off FROM deer. That's what I have seen in the areas that I hunt turkey in the spring.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I got curious about the area we hunted in 1960. It was on the road from Marienville to Loleta (sp?), just after you cross the Elk County line going south, to the west up on a ridge.

I went to PennPilot and pulled up an airphoto of the spot. Can't figure out what that large area circled by a road(?) might be, with the finer mesh of lines inside. Is this something to do with the gas drilling?

Here is the link:
http://data.cei.psu.edu/pennpilot/era197...apm_7jj_201.jpg

If you pull up pennpilot.psu.edu and enter Marienville in the search box you can see the road map, then click on the most recent "era" box to zoom in on the latest black-and-white airphoto, which is the link I've given above.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks like it was logged then fenced.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gary Alt only worried about forest health and herd health..He could care less if you go out hunting with your kids for 5 days and see zero deer...He only looks at our state through a prism..He brainwashed the PGC on this and now hunters are fighting MAD at the PGC..We pay the PGC salarys and at the time paid Gary Alts salary when he should have been fired after he finished his Bear work..Hes just another liberal working at the PGC..Tell Gary to close some areas to doe hunting and he would do somersaults..
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

What bear work did Alt do that would be reason to fire him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page