beating a dead horse... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

beating a dead horse...

I know everyone likes all these extended seasons and all the opportunities to shoot doe. And i enjoy them also, but the deer dont have a chance. Ive been out 4 days since opening day, 2 deer....a spike and a doe. Ive all ready passed up 4 little bucks in archery. (Hunting over 110 hrs) My little brother and cousins told me thursday night..hunting is boring, cold, and you never see a deer. what do i tell them?? I understand the herd will never be the same as it once was, but if a hunter is proud to shoot a little spiker let him. I want to shoot a slammer buck just as much as the next guy, but when i sit for 1o hrs and see one little spiker and have to pass i just want to cry....i am done sorry for carrying on but its been a rough week and i dont have high hopes for tommorrow.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:46 PM

Re: beating a dead horse...

Here's what i would tell them to their remark about hunting being boring,cold and you never see a deer,Hunting is just what it sounds like,you hunt.There's no guarantee that your going to see anything,yes it can be down right brutal as far as the weather goes and boring heck yes,it can be down right nerve racking but hunting wasn't meant to be that you go out and see every critter in the woods as soon as you get there.Persistance will pay off maybe not this year and maybe not next but it will happen,be patient and everything will fall into place for you and them.

rich battistoni
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Are you serious? listen to your own post. in a nut shell, we only seen 2 deer and we should be allowed to shoot them also. next year there will be none. sheesh!

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 PM

Its great to be a skillful hunter, but better to be a lucky one.
Practice one while waiting for the other.
Good Luck

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

im talking about the younger guys ive brought with me.. i feel bad that they are hardly seeing anything..

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM

tomorrow will be better. should be more guys ut chasing does around. hopefully i can chase a buck to some of my group.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

I can understand where the OP is coming from. There are deer all over the place here in 2A and I was sitting with my brother on Monday and he passed on a small 7 and we saw three other sub AR bucks and about 5 doe. We went maybe 3 hours without seeing anything and my brother wanted to call it quits for the day. Now he is not as big a hunter as I am, but he goes out. If we were in an area where we went a few days without seeing a single deer, i could see where he would give up hunting.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Wiz

When I started hunting in 1989, I hardly ever saw anything but was immediately spoiled my first day of archery when a small 7 walked about 15 yards from me and started feeding. I shot and missed. I thought hunting was cake. I only saw 2 deer that year in rifle season of which both were doe. I was humbled. The next year on the first day of archery I killed a small spike. Hunting was cake again. I never saw a doe during that doe season.

For the following 7 seasons, I never saw a buck and only was able to shoot at one doe in season. I saw very few doe during buck season while all of my classmates were seeing 20-50 deer per day. I enjoyed small game hunting more than deer because I at least saw game in small game season. I was bored and felt bad but it taught me one of the most important attributes to life: patience. It took me 20 years until I connected with my first buck with more than 6 points.

I had a chance to kill a 6 and an 8 on Monday, but passed in hopes of a better buck. The better buck I was looking for was killed that afternoon within 300 yards of me and turned out to be a 9 point with a 23" inside spread, shot by a 12 year old kid. I'm very happy that a young hunter got it, but also kind of sad because he may think hunting is easy like I did when I was 12 and 13 and may very well have shot the best buck of his life his first year. Hopefully he will not become bored with hunting and hopefully this will fuel his fire for the rest of his life.

Everyday that I am in the woods, I learn something new that makes me a better hunter so it doesn't become boring to me. Since they are younger hunters, they still have lots to learn before they are good hunters. Perhaps you may be able to teach these younger hunters some new skills that they can use to become better hunters. Rome wasn't built in a day.... or a week for that matter!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Sage

I like the quality of bucks being taken since AR was instituted. Granted I dont see as many deer, but the ones I do see are bigger. Sometimes it is discouraging not seeing a deer but I'm old enough to remember when there were not that many.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have to agree with the OP..My daughter tried deer hunting for two years...NEVER saw a deer...Let you figure out where she is during deer season..

Hard to teach anything to a new hunter when there is nothing to keep there hope up..I think she may have keep a intrest if she would have seen something even if she couldn't get a shot...Seeing animals will keep younger hunter intrested more than seeing no animals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page