so frustrated... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

so frustrated...

went out this morning since it was nice an cold out got in the stand before sunrise.at about 7:40 grunted a few times an hit the doe bleat an sat back an waited what seemed like minutes but was only a few seconds...then i heard a twig snap so i stood up an to my left was an 8 point about 10 yards away he had just crested the hillside...he sniffed the ground looked up so i took the safety off an raised my gun an poof he was gone as fast as he came...anyway what im tryin to get to is how many bucks have you guys missed before you got your frist thats the frist buck I've seen while having a rifle the only other shooter buck I've seen was with a bow an same thing happend about 25 yards from where i was today i just can't seem to make it happen when i get the chance....

~bake that possum good an brown lay them sweet tader's round an round~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Part of the Community

Re: so frustrated...

Sounds like he saw you moving. If he was looking up at you I would have stayed dead still. He would have more than likely ignored you and stayed there and put his head down to feed allowing you to slowly raise your rifle and hopefully get a shot.

If its outdoors I'm willing to give it a try.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
RB
Sage

i think I actually saw 5 bucks before I ever got a shot off at one, over the course of my first 3 years...they rattled me big time (and these were spikes and scrubs), then the day I finally shot at my first, I missed one in the morning and then hit one 3 times that afternoon...after is was all said and done my dad said something like "see that wasn't so hard"..LOL

Sounds like you are seeing them a split second too late to get the jump on them...one day it will reverse just like that I promise.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 PM

It took me quite awhile to get it right.....and I am stil working on it.

My first time ever deer hunting and I had a chance at a trotting 8 point. I sat there with the deer in the scope and my Dad just kept wispering "Are you going to shoot?"....."Chris shoot him!"....."Are you going to shoot?, shoot him!" When I finally did it was a clean miss. I just struggled to focus I was so pumped up.

To this day I am still working to improve those "buck fever" jitters in archery season.

Remember take your time, you don't have to pull the gun up right away (especially if he is just walking in). Most importantly.....<u>BREATHE!!!!</u>

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

ya he must of saw me....like i sed to my buddie should of jus stayed plastred to the tree an waited an little longer but i definitely learned my lesson!....but my fiance loves it frist buck she saw she shot an it was the frist deer she had seen hunting her frist year so its a big joke to her haha even thow i ratteld him i was just lookin the wrong way when he showed up an bang he was done she says it comes naturaly...but i know when i get one he will be a monster of a buck atleast in my eyes it will be!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

lol ya i was frozen still had jus put a dip in an handnt spit yet when he showed up my jaw dropped an spit just came pourin out haha....maybe thats what spooked him lol!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 PM

I killed the first Buck I saw, an 8 point in 1976. I started hunting in 1972 and he was the first Buck I saw in the woods while hunting! I have killed quite a few since though.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page