Second Guessing Myself...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Second Guessing Myself......

I put in a ton of time scouting all summer and fall and had three trailcams out as well. Was really prepared for archery with three different stands hung well before the season. Archery season was very slow for me....no acorns and just did not see many deer and I hunted 24 times including a few all day sits. And Yes - I am obsessed with scent control. Hunted at camp in Centre County on Monday and half day on Tuesday but did not see a single deer. Hunted my usual stomping grounds yesterday and finally it all came together at 8:45 a.m. Biggest buck I have seen while hunting in a few years shoes up out of nowehere 60 yards below my stand. I was not looking at horns but he was an 8 (maybe 10) with great height and spread. Slowly walking directly to the base of my tree. Coming straight at me the whole way. He stopped at 45 yards and I had the cross hairs on his chest for close to a minute. I do not like a head on shot at all even with a rifle and there were a few low hanging dead hemlock branches right in front of him. All I needed was one step right or left and a great buck would be down. I decided to NOT take the shot because I just did not like it at all. The gun drives tacks and I shoot a 270 with 150 gr Nosler Partions. I know I could have made the shot but my buddy took the same shot last year, watched the deer drop and roll down a hill......4 hours he never did find him. My buck's sixth sense kicked in and he did a quick 180 with three big jumps and just walked straight away from me. Have just really been second guessing my decision.......Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 AM

Re: Second Guessing Myself......

If you didn't feel comfortable with the shot, then you did the right thing. To me hunting is full of second guessing. I do it all the time. You never know maybe you will kill that buck next year in bow season and he will be bigger or maybe you will get another crack at him this year.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you weren't comfortable pulling the trigger, for whatever reason, you did the right thing. If you doubted the shot and took it, wounding the deer and not finding it, you know you would feel horrible and it would probably ruin your season. Kudos for showing some restraint and discipline. Most guys would have taken the chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman
Kudos for showing some restraint and discipline. Most guys would have taken the chance.
Buddy...you did good! Rest assured.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Part of the Community

If there was any possibility of an unrecovered deer,then You did the right thing. Good job!

Remington:700x2,870,788
Ruger Redhawk 44,SP101.357
Marlin .22
NRA
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Did you have a shot at his backbone as he walk away,that shot would of drop him in his tracks.

What you don't see with your eyes,don't invent with your mouth.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM

would have been a dead deer.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

If you were not comfortable with the shot, it was your decision to make. Stop playing it over and over in your head, it will drive you nuts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We need more hunters like you. Don't second guess yourself. You made a decision not to shoot. It probably was the right decision for you. Personally, with my rifle (30.06 180 grain), I wouldn't hesitate to take a front on shot if it presents itself. With a bow, that's a different story. Good luck the rest of your season.

God Bless the USA.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
The Man

The curse of the newbie

The curse of the newbie. You don't start getting comfortable taking deer, until you start harvesting deer. Just like I didn't get good at trout fishing, until I really started catching trout.

Until you start harvesting or catching, you can have every second thought imaginable. And the newbie won't start harvesting deer, frequently, until the newbie starts- harvesting deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page