Opening day to remember - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Opening day to remember

Monday was definitely one to remember. I missed being able to make it back to PA last year, so this made it even more special. Around 0745 I missed a small 6 pt which I would have been ecstatic to get in the vast woods of NW 2G, but it just wasn't going to happen. At that point I figured I missed my one and only chance. Got back in the climber stand, saw a few more, then at around 0930 everything went quiet. Not even any shooting close by to get my attention. Figured I would just enjoy the opportunity to at least be in the woods on opening day this year, and I had the whole week off. Well, around 1340, just as I was fighting dozing off, I took another look at the thick stuff on my left. My heart about stopped. I knew immediately this buck was special. He was just sneaking through, but looking ahead I knew I would have 1 or 2 decent chances at getting a shot and it was all going to happen in about a 30 second window. I got the 30-06 steady and picked the opening he was headed for. As he walked into it, I'll admit for the first time I had a brief episode of the shakes. Took a deep breath, told myself to ignore the headgear, steadied the crosshairs, then took the shot. He dropped immediately right where he stood and other than a few kicks, stopped moving within 30 seconds. At that point, I knew I shot a good buck, but it happened so fast I wasn't sure just how good. Called my Dad on the radio and told him I was going to wait a few minutes before unloading and climbing down. As I walked up to him and saw what I had I couldn't believe it. This is public land that my father has hunted since the mid 60's. At the peak of our camp's history, we had 15-17 guys every year. Now it's just me and Dad, and this is the biggest buck shot in that 45 year history. Needless to say there is a special spot on the wall waiting for him in a few months.

The excitement didn't stop there, although the other excitement wasn't the good kind. We were driving East on Rte 6 after dropping my deer off at the processor, and this guy jumped out of nowhere. It happened faster than a camera flash.

It made us both a little sick to our stomach when we went back to look at him knowing he should have gone down in someone else's crosshairs. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. Despite me covering miles of woods every day, we just couldn't find one for my Dad. I think we'll remember the 2011 opener for long time.

Plenty of other pics of my buck on my photobucket page if anyone wants to look, including one that shows what happens when you give a 73 year old a cell phone and just ask him to push the button. Still can't figure out how he managed to get the graphics added. http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...6/2011%20buck/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Opening day to remember

congrats on a great buck
and that stinks about your truck

what area did you take him at?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 PM

OMG. What a story. Route 6 is kinda big....What part? County even?

Please put your WMU in your location! Helps! 3C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Our camp is in Clermont, between Kane and Smethport. We hit the deer driving back from a processor in Kane just east of Mt Jewett in McKean County.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:06 PM
The Man

Wow, sorry to hear about your truck. But congrats on your buck!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Your right...one to remember, you will be telling that story for years. Congrats on a very fine buck!

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 PM

That's one part of PA I've never been too. Mansfield is as far as I've gone that way. Is that an Ag area or is it state forest/big woods there? Big deer to be sure. Why is there a route 6 everywhere?

Please put your WMU in your location! Helps! 3C
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingcounty
That's one part of PA I've never been too. Mansfield is as far as I've gone that way. Is that an Ag area or is it state forest/big woods there? Big deer to be sure. Why is there a route 6 everywhere?
Guess we were thinking of the same route 6 lol
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Awesome buck! congrats on a fine trophy, love the kicker. Sorry to see that about your truck, glad everyone is ok.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Nice buck, too bad about your truck and the buck

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page