I officially hit the panic button. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I officially hit the panic button.

Its been 4 strait days of hunting and i havent even got a good look at a d i eer. I have no idea whats going on i've ben hunting spots wear i have killed deer saw deer and shot at deer and still nothing. I dont mean to sound like a cry baby but i gotta say some thing ive never seen a deer season wear i havent even here shots in 4 days. The only thing i can think of is there bedding durring the day and nobody wants to move with the warmer temps or no acorns to feed on during the day is the only thing i can think of. Is any one else on here having these kind of problems?

Sunshine or thunder a man will always wander wear the fair winds blow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: I officially hit the panic button.

its been a rough fall for deer movement in my area, I usually dont gun hunt to much but due to the lack of deer I killed in archery I was out there with the orange militia today. Put on 8 drives in the moraine state park area and only saw one deer...
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
The Man

Me, too, only I hunted just Monday and Wednesday.

On opening day I saw lots of deer sign, including buck sign (rubs and scrapes), but I didn't hear a shot within a mile of me. I saw 4 other hunters, all on the ground and all walking. You'd think somebody would have moved a deer, or taken a shot. I know there was also at least one guy in a treestand, but he didn't take a shot either.

But the big problem was that I had my 13 year old nephew with me, and I was trying to give him the best opportunity I could to get a deer.

I'll hunt tomorrow, and he'll try again with me on Saturday. Somewhere I heard "it takes only a minute to change your season."

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
The Man

Relax, no need to panic yet. Still plenty of time left and
it only takes a moment to change your luck! Where are you
hunting? Private or public land? Stand sitting or walking
or a bit of both?

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Part of the Community

I'm feeling good about Sat. The weather is starting to settle down and the deer will be moving early and late again. I think hunters will be out in full force on Sat pushing the deer around during the day too!

As many have said, it only takes a minute to turn your season around. I experienced that this year on the last day of archery at 5:15PM. Too bad I screwed up the yardage and missed a nice 8pt!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We've noticed the same in some areas, esp. where there is no doe hunting allowed the first week yet.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 PM

Yep, here in 4D, bear comes in starting thurs-Sat. Doe comes in Sat too. Plus as the season moves on, people tend to start driving as they try to fill unfilled tags. The weather has dropped 20 degrees into the 40's as a high vs 60's on opening day. The deer, and hunters will be on the move, meaning the deer should move better. I'm fully confident this Sat, will prob be darn near as good if not better than opening day, I agree w/ others....lots of time yet.

Lack of acorns has def been a problem for mtn hunters, the vast majority of deer killed from who I've talked to and witnessed, vast majority of deer shots/action has been down low around field edges in the thick stuff the opening few days. But as pressure mounts, day after day, those deer will flee those fields earlier and earlier and move into thicker cover, and go high if they need to in order to flee the orange army even if there is no food there. This is where I still plan to be to ambush these deer....and there's something a bit magical in my book about hunting those "survivor, big deer". I may win/lose w/ that plan, but 20+ yrs of experience tells me to stick to the game plan.

Stay positive, enjoy yourself in the woods, be greatful for everyday you have to hug a tree. There's a heck of a lot worse things than an uneventful day in the woods. Pullin' the trigger is the extra for me, and takes all the pressure off which is a nice place to be when opening light cracks. I firmly believe, when one is overly focused on killing for whatever reason, it can become a way harder ordeal. Ever notice when you relax, and have little care/need to harvest, the opportunites have gone up?!? I have......

Best of luck man, mix things up. Scout new grounds, try new tactics, etc. Enjoy yourself out there, no need to panic. If you truly need the meat to survive for you and your fam, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help fill your freezer w/ the blessings I've received this yr, no money/questions asked. If meat isn't an ABSOLUTE neccessity...then enjoy the woods....and the trickery that goes on when hunting whitetails!

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey22
Relax, no need to panic yet. Still plenty of time left and
it only takes a moment to change your luck! Where are you
hunting? Private or public land? Stand sitting or walking
or a bit of both?
Mostly public. Still hunting and driving for my dad. Altho he did get to shoot at a pretty nice yote i put to him yesterday.

Sunshine or thunder a man will always wander wear the fair winds blow
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
The Man

I hunted the entire archery season without seeing a deer. Then in a moment, just like my father always told me. YOU NEVER KNOW! I learned this on Monday. Don't give up! Things can change in a second!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Were you in a stand or moving?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page