Two down - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Two down

Opening day my father and I sat for 12 hours in the blind and did not see anything, we heard tons of shots but no signs of deer. The deer that we been seeing on our trail cams and all day Saturday seemed to had gotten on a bus Sunday night and headed out of town for the season. On Tuesday we got some really wet weather in Monroe county and my dad with his age and health did not / could not go out. I was a bit bummed even headed out later in hopes the extra sleep would have him in better spirits / health. Around 8:00 am I went out to the blind, the rain was light at the time but continued to get worse as the day went on. Around 2:30 the rain stopped and far in the distance I can see 4 doe heading down the trail. The trail had to be right around 100 yards and only had 1 opening to get a clear shot to them. I took aim on the biggest one and it crossed the opening I shot. It went about 10 yards and dropped. The round went through both lungs and fragments shattered the heart and liver into pieces. When I went to retrieve her there were three other does standing next to her almost like telling her to get up, lets go there is danger. I tagged her, gutted her and packed up. As soon as I got the car loaded the monsoon started again.

The next day (Wednesday) it was still raining hard early morning and my dad was still not feeling great. I told him we had to go out to take down our other blind located near our uncles off of 715 near neola, a small private hunting area our uncle secured us access to earlier that year. He agreed to come to help. I am glad he did. He asked to be dropped at the bottom of the hill and that he would walk up to see if he sees anything. As I was pulling away I hear him yell deer. Wouldn't you know, years of him suffering through brutal weather and health issues to spend time with me in the woods to hunt that he would literally step into the woods and have a 6 point buck just standing there waiting for him. I pulled over and got out to confirm this and sure enough there was a 6 point buck just standing there. My dad made his way to within 30 feet of it and shot. It entered right in the money spot and the deer flopped over dead. Years and years of hunting with my dad he never even got as much as a squirrel when we go out, but every year he pays the 100 + dollars to come from out of state to hunt with me using his few vacation days and despite his health issues to come sit in the cold PA woods with his son. It turns out to be that buck was one that we had on the trail cam. My dad was like a little kid on Christmas morning. He had the biggest grin from ear to ear. then he is like you can gut this for me right. I gave in and did it for him. The drag out of the woods was short but it was down a rocky area through a small river and up another rocky embankment. But every time I stopped for a breath and saw my dad's smile I knew it was worth it.

I remember as I was heading up to camp saying a prayer that the weather held off from being to bad and that my dad at least saw a deer. Shortly after we dropped the deer off at the butcher it started flurrying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Two down

Great story and congrats to you both!

Penn State: B.S. Wildlife
Miss. State: M.S. Wildlife
Private Wildlife Biologist
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
RB
Sage

Nice post, good change of pace around here. CONGRATS TO YOU GUYS!!!

Looking forward to hunting with my Dad next week. This certainly added to that excitement.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great story..thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Part of the Community

Cherish the time you spend with him.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Sage

Funny how it happens that way sometimes. I think coming from out of state and using his vacation to sit in the cold PA woods with you is about something more than shooting a deer, to your dad. Enjoy the time together, it'll end all too soon.
Congratulations.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Great story! Congrats to you both.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Part of the Community

Congrats to you both !!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. I am planning on engraving the deers stats on the bullet case and mounting the antlers and casing on a plaque for him.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 PM

Great story, congrats to both of you!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page