Hunter in my spot, my dads spot.....argh - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hunter in my spot, my dads spot.....argh

We headed up the mountain at 5am Monday morning, pulled up to the pull off 15 minutes later, and two cars were already their. Hunting a huge part of the mountain, about a 30 minute walk down, never seen anyone back there the last 5 years because I assume people do not like the walk or drag out. I was heading to my normal spot that I have hunted 5 years in a row, had my father in law hunting an area to my left and my father even further down to my left. I turn off the trail to head to my spot and see a light at the base of a tree, turn around and go to a back up area. As light appears I see another hunter 100 yards away walking towards me. As the hunter approaches, I realize it was my father. I asked him what he was doing and he said someone was in the spot I sent him to. An hour later a shot rings out. Twenty minutes goes by and a guy appears dragging a basket rack 6 pointer. First thing that came to mind, was that could have been my dads shot, but then I began to think. I am not entitled to that piece of state forest anymore then the next person and the fact that they got up earlier, and in their spot earlier attributed to their success. Was I upset that the place I was looking forward to hunting for an entire year and have hunted 5 years straight was taken when I got there? Yeah, but I was just happy to be able to soak it all in on the opener of rifle season. Congrats to the guy who harvested the deer, god knows he earned it on the drag out. I ended up running in to the person who was in my spot and they seen two spikes and some doe, neither of which are legal in our part of the wmu. I did see some doe, and a ton of turky amongst other cridders throughout the day and eventhough I didnt bag a buck, still had a great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hunter in my spot, my dads spot.....argh

Whew I really thought this was gonna be another one of the "stupid slobs in MY spot post" . congrats on a good hunt

Smile its contagious. Its understood in all languages.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Great attitude, Good Luck to you

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good post and good attitude
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 PM

I had a guy walk within 40 yards of me I whistled he then turned. It took him 20 minutes to walk 100 yards. I see him he gets his pack out starts getting ready to sit. I walked up to him calmly and said tell me what is safe about me sitting where I am sitting and you sitting where you are right now. I said your shot is right at me and mine is right at you. He said should I leave, I said either you do or I do and I really dont want too. He says to me but we are a 100 yards apart. I said ok I will leave then... by the time I got back to gather my things he was gone. 40 minutes later he shot a buck that he said was walking in my direction. Just dont get people some times.

jmdb25

Take a Kid hunting!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM
RB
Sage

Refreshing....nice post shunk.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Sage

The trials and tribulations of hunting public land. At least you kept a good attitude. Next year, get up an hour earlier.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

WELCOME to PENNSYLVANIA
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, not much you can do on public property. For several years I've walked about 2 miles back in to get away from hunters. Recently hunters have been coming in from the opposite direction via an access road that was put in for some equipment. Its a private/closed road, but apparently they must know someone who gives them access.

While no one has sat in "my" spot, they come close. Last year when I got my deer and was in the process of dressing it, a hunter moved right into my spot. I didn't care since I wasn't going to be sitting there for the rest of the day, but come on? You can't find another place to sit?

Oh to find a piece of private property to hunt! LOL!

Steve
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Part of the Community

That's why you get there early. It's the breaks on public land. However, what really bugs me is when somebody comes up to you after your are at your "spot", they proceed to sit down 50 yds from you and ignore your coughing and whatever noises you might choose to make.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page