4D Reports? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

4D Reports?

I hunt 4D and was wondering how everyone else is making out. Yesterday I heard about 25 shots total I sat from 530am-1130am then back at 1p-4p. I saw 6 deer total 3 of which were bucks. Spike-broken rack 3pt and a y buck.This morning I was invited into the woods by rain and almost as soon as it got to shooting hours it stopped. around 8am I had a doe coming in at 60 yards trotting up the mountain she stopped and looked back and there was a horny old 4pt. He had nice white y's but no brow tines to speak of. Due too the lack of deer in my area I think alot of does missed the first round of "heat" hence kicking the cycle in now. 2 out of the 4 bucks I saw in the last 2 days had one thing on their mind....The dirty deed!! Turkeys are plentiful also. Shooting today was 3 shots until 10am and then the downpour began. I ended up installing our new pellet stove from noon on!! Tomorrow I hope is the day..Looking for how others in 4d are making out! Have fun. be safe, and make sure you look out for ticks!!

Aim small miss small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 4D Reports?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Lack of shooting due to heat and not lack of deer. I saw 11 from stand before 8:45 am. Big boy was #11. A heavy rutter with an injured eye.
I have been preaching all year about a banner buck year in 4d. Deer herd is very healthy! Proof! Saturday will be very good day!

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's a beautiful buck - congrats. I have not been out yet due to work - but heard a decent amount of shooting the first day - today only a few. I work from home and I'm only a quarter mile from Rothrock SF.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No food in the woods this year in 4d. I am going to scout Mo St Forest tomorrow for a "mountain" doe. There were tons of deer up there in the cuts all summer/early fall. Don't know if they are still up there or moved down in the foothills.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 PM

4D is a big unit. It's not a banner year here. I heard tonight a BIG gang that does well just about every year did'nt bag one Buck thus far. Banner? Come on get real!

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Too bad for them. I scout year round and run cameras. I know where there are plenty of bucks like the one I shot. Mostly on public!
If you convince yourself it is "bad" you will fail.
Maybe you hunt around Amish areas? I wouldn't! Those are the only areas in 4d with few deer.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusseyMtMan
Too bad for them. I scout year round and run cameras. I know where there are plenty of bucks like the one I shot. Mostly on public!
If you convince yourself it is "bad" you will fail.
Maybe you hunt around Amish areas? I wouldn't! Those are the only areas in 4d with few deer.
Why would it be any different hunting around Amish areas? Why do you people always blame the Amish for everything? There's alot of English that shoot more than their share.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM
New Arrival

There definitely was not a lot of shooting Monday but I agree with Tussey, it wasn't due to a lack of deer. I have been seeing a lot more deer in our area of Rothrock over the past couple years and this year was no exception. More importantly though is that the deer we are seeing are so much healthier than they have been in a long time. I took a decent buck Monday morning that had 4 points on one side and was broke off just above the brow tine on the right side. And the first thing I said when I walked up to him was, Holy @#%$, look at how fat he is. He actually had a round belly! That was something you would never hear someone saying or see in Rothrock SF in the past. At least in the valley I hunt. My opinion is we have made it through the "lean" years and now for those willing to put the time in, you will be rewarded.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I hunt Clinton county and I would say the deer #'s are better then years past but still way below what they could be for it to be beneficial to all sides.

Today I sat with my father and saw one doe. Too be honest I hope it pours buckets Sat. and keeps the fair weather guys at home. Does are not plentiful in my area. Even when we spot you end up seeing more buck then doe.

Aim small miss small
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Ive seen deer on almost every sit so far this year and Ive been out a grand total of 9 times including archery season. I havent seen a banner number of deer. I do scout and run cams, in fact, I build my own cams.

I dont honestly believe there is any more or any less deer than in the last 5 seasons. I will say the weather [censored] though.

Most of our season saw a S or SW wind and most guys are used to hunting 4D on a prevailing NE or N wind which means the spots that have been productive were not this year. Go to one side of a mountain, see nothing, drop over on the other side into the thermal tunnel and WALA!

Im really looking forward to seeing if I can put a deer on the ground either in rifle or late season when theres no one out and about. I think I can and will find a nice deer to shoot.

I still see what I consider a lot of really small bucks shot and thats something that I cannot change. Fact is, if you want big bucks you cant shoot the basket rack 6 thats 1.5 years old cause hes legal and the only deer you saw. I personally dont... cant make anyone else and I dont worry about it anymore, its out of my control. What I know is I cant be out there to shoot a big one if my tag is filled and I am sitting at home.

I have seen 4 bucks this season and I truely believe its because of the pressure and weather that I havent seen a big deer. 3 spikes and 1 button I almost whacked in archery season till I saw it had buttons.

Self control is something more need to learn but its like trying to tell kids to not eat candy on halloween, isnt gonna happen.

What I know is my chances of shooting what I truely consider a trophy animal with the access I have is dismal at best and I will be traveling in future years to spend my time in other states.

I will continue to hunt and fish here at home but the best parts of the season in my mind are better spent elsewhere.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page