How Quickly Deer Seek Safety - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

How Quickly Deer Seek Safety

Living in a wooded area surrounded by some pretty fair deer country I'm always amazed at how quickly the deer in the area know where to head for safety.

During the summer through archery season, we occasionally see 3 or 4 doe and maybe a buck every now and then in our back yard / woods. It doesn't offer great food or cover but it does offer safety because it is too small to hunt without violating safety zones.

This evening we watched from the house a spike and a 6 point at 4:30 hang around for 15 mins. Then 8 doe came in and all hung out as well. There is absolutely no reason for these deer to be here other than safety. You gotta admire a deer's sense of survival.

I don't live in the big woods but there are 100's of acres of prime deer land around that gets pounded in rifle season. I can easily imagine why the SRA areas hold so many deer based on my own observations over the years.

I sometimes believe that there are two species of deer. Wild big woods deer and suburban adapted deer. There's no doubt that the deer pattern the hunter much quicker than the hunter patterns the deer.

It is hard to prevent oneself from believing what one so keenly desires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Re: How Quickly Deer Seek Safety

It is amazing how after hunting deer just 1.5 miles outside of downtown lancaster on public ground, they KNOW the difference between kids playing in the backyard and human that is stalking them. I used to take walks along a powerline behind my apartment complex and I could watch deer not even lift a head to kids screaming their heads off, but if they saw me on the dirt road hunkered down with binocs they'd scatter quickly.

I used to always assume that old, big deer on the first day of rifle were like ghosts after 8:30 opening morning, heading to high laurel patches, or low nasty briar filled streambeds. We had a 3.5/4.5 year old 11pt. on cam in Michaux state forest last year that disappeared after rifle. Just ran into the guy that shot him this year....at 1 PM in the afternoon, opening day, walking ON a logging road.

Blew.Me.Away.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

hunted all day Monday, saw nothing.

Came home and had 25 deer in the back yard and farm field next to me.

Maybe I should stay home. LOL

muss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:29 PM
RB
Sage

Prey think different than us, they will amaze me to the day I die.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Sage

I think the deer do catch on fast as to when they are being hunted, but I dont believe that they posess a mastery of escape routines that would put Houdini to shame. I believe that when the heat is on, they simply head to places where they never see a human being or places where they have never had a bad experience with humans.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Right....to the cover where I'm set up at! Then they don't get to tell their friends either 'cause I'm all stealthy and whatnot....right up until that boom!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Part of the Community

Hope you're right because sitting in this scrub oak thicket freezing isnt exactly pleasant, lol.

Saw 4 does coming out of it at dark on monday

A gun's like a woman, it's all how you hold her
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

After telling myself that scouting was the priority and not hunting you probably would think I am lying if I told you that most places a buck beds, a good buck anyhow, is almost bullet proof. Hes bedding there because many factors come into play, usually what he cant smell, he can see. I have found some beds where theres no way you could approach from up wind cause if you tried it, they had you pegged visually and could get up and leave before you ever knew they were bedding in that area.

When I say a spot the size of a car is big enough to hold a big buck, I am overstating size. If they can get into a pile of grass, see, smell, hear, catch thermals... good luck.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I mentioned this before, great article in Deer and Deer Hunting i think last year. Radio collared deer on 4 separate properties around the country. Was supposed to be a comprehensive deer study and was very interesting to read. One little section of the story had me fascinated. One of the radio collard deer was a huge buck, real slammer. One of the guys doing the study was out on his ATV and got the radio signal of that big buck. He tracked it down and found it in the impossibly thick cover right next to a building. According to his radio info at one point he got within 50 yards of the deer and could not see it no matter how hard he looked. Came back the next day and it was gone.

Amazing to read. I may have some of the details wrong I can't find that magazine for the life of me dunno where i put it. The moral is that big buck is probably in a place you could never imagine him being.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt13
Hope you're right because sitting in this scrub oak thicket freezing isnt exactly pleasant, lol.

Saw 4 does coming out of it at dark on monday
Dress warmer, layer!

Seriously though I've had great luck sitting tight in the thick stuff. Shots are usually close, the action is non-existent....then fast....then gone, repeat.

I also noticed something over the years that kind of surprised me. Ever walk through a clear-cut? Notice the deer trails following the old skid trails? Think deer use them all the time? They don't! I was shocked to find out that most of the deer were just crossing from brush to brush across the roads. Almost never do I see them walking the trials....just crossing or walking a short distance then back in the cover. I have no clue when they make all that sign....I assume at night!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page