Pushed bedding areas - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Pushed bedding areas

One of the spots I hunt is between a bedding area and a feeding area. The bedding area got pushed pretty thoroughly yesterday and I was wondering whether the deer will still use it now or how long before I should consider it an active bedding area again. Your thoughts are much appreciated since I need to figure out whether to find a new spot or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pushed bedding areas

Distrurbing them in a bedding area is the best way to make deer totally unpredictable and put them off their daily routune/pattern. When deer area repeatedly disturbured in a bedding area they will abandon it. So it may be a few days or them may never use it (other deer may find it though).

I read one real good artcile on bedding area disturbance once. They likened it to meeting a stanger, You meet a stanger on the street, not really concerned (to deer this is outside their core bedding area), you meet a stanger in your driveway, alittle more concern (on the edge of their core area). You meet a stranger in your bedroom, major concern (same with deer).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDX
I read one real good artcile on bedding area disturbance once. They likened it to meeting a stanger, You meet a stanger on the street, not reall concerned (to deer this is outside their core bedding area), you meet a stanger in your driveway, alittle more concern (on the edge of their core area). You meet a stranger in your bedroom, major concern (same with deer).
Very clever. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless the USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember scouting a bedding area a few days in a row a couple years back. I walked in on the first day and kicked up a nice 8pt., Walked in the 2nd day and kicked him up again and again on the 3rd day. I kicked him up all 3 days I went into there. Then later in the year, I called him in while bowhunting from the same area I kicked him up in, but realized he was a little to small and let him go.

During bowseason, kicking deer out of bedding areas especially big bucks will cause your problems in the long run. Its early in the year, they havent had any recent contact with human odor and any amount will put them on high alert. During rifle season, their are so many people in the woods chasing deer and putting human scent around that it really doesnt matter. He's not finding a place to bed down where he can stay for an extended period of time until a hunter comes through and drives him out, or until he catches a strong wiff of human odor that gets him up and going. In rifle season, especially here in PA where you have people behind every tree, the more conventional (I seen it on TV) style of rifle hunting where they approach it like bowhunting can be tossed out the window. They are hunting their own private farms or outfitter and thats how you have to hunt in those situations because you have nobody moving the deer around for them. But here in good ol PA, your gonna always have someone stubbling though the woods pushing deer around.

Dont overthink your hunting tactics during rifle season, archery though, that will drive you crazy! LOL

Another thing you got to be careful of is after the deer get pushed around so much. They will start to just lay and hold tight like rabbits. I cannot tell you how many times I have walked within feet of deer before they got up and took off while rifle hunting. I notice that if your walking and keep walking you'll walk past a lot of deer that you dont even see, but if you walk a little then stop and stand there for 30sec or so..it works on their nerves and gets them to jump up.

I remember walking along the edge of a field by my house a few years back, I was inside the edge of the woods and I was walking a ATV trail. I heard something get up right behind me, when I turned it was a buck taking off running from no less than 10 yards from where I was standing. He held tight that long and let me walk past him before he got up and took off. Another time, Dad and I was in a bedding area along a creek bottom. We walked along the creek and was standing there talking for about 2-3 minutes deciding what to do next. Then out of nowwhere a doe just popped up from behind a blow down and took off. The deer will lay like rabbits after getting some hunting pressure, you'd be surprised how close you can get to them and the nerves they got to lay there! Im being dead serious too, Ive seen it multiple times over the years from does to big bucks. My uncle took a 137" 11pt. at 14 yards one year laying in a grove of saplings IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIELD, 75 yards from the neighbors house..a few years later, I took a 4.5 year old 7 pt with 5" bases from the same spot. Maybe it was an area hunters overlooked and they felt comfortable in, but it was out in the middle of the field in a little sapling grove but they were both mature bucks takin late in rifle season laying in dense saplings in the middle of a field.

Here's the pictures to let ya know Im not pulling your leg.

Dont ask me why I look upset in this picture, but check out the white faces on these guys!

This is the last buck (or deer period) that I've harvested with the rifle back in 2007. I havent harvested a deer in 3 years with the gun. If I decide not to gun hunt again this year, it will be 4. ( I LOVE to Bowhunt and dont care much for rifle as much as I used to.)

Toss out your conventional "I got to be careful all the time" hunting style in rifle season. Focus on little pockets of cover in areas other hunters would easily overlook. These big bucks have a tendency to favor bedding in overgrown fields as a research study I read about a few months ago suggests. The bucks above were taking in a overgrown field with a sapling grove in the middle of it that Im sure hunters just looked out across and didnt see anything. BUT!!! You got to remember, when a deer is bedded down, it doesnt take a whole lot of grass or overgrown field to hide their entire body! They can sink into nothing and dissappear. Heck, even think. How many times has a deer been standing in front of you with just a few branches or saplings covering it an it dissappeared. They blend in phenomonally well even with minimal cover.

Good Luck!

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Part of the Community

I agree with born2hunt about the difference in the bedding area between archery and rifle. Our camp puts on very well organized drives in rifle season and put deer out of the same bedding areas consistently. Some days we drive the same thickets two to three times a day because we know the deer we push out will be pushed right back in to their comfort zone by the other people's hunting pressure. We have around 30 different drives we put on a regular basis but i'd say 10 of these drives (our most productive go to drives) we have perfected over the last 45 years by doing them several times a year with the same hunting crew. We know exactly how the deer are going to react and how they are going to be pushed (what escape routes, if the come high or go low etc.) So get into those bedding areas and hunt IN RIFLE SEASON. Like born2hunt said I wouldn't recommend this in archery season until the peak of the rut hits and i'd do it cautiously at that. I hunt bedding areas in the rut for one reason only does in heat. If there is a doe in heat you WILL have action as long as you can get into the bedding area without spooking the does. Wind is the most important factor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Part of the Community

i meant to say i agree with live2bowhunt sorry for the mistake.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Bump and Dump... read about it

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page