RTH's Deer Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
RTH

RTH's Deer Season

Most of this done on my blackberry so excuse spelling and grammar errors.

I'm hunting away at camp for the first time since 2007. Illness, unemployment, and family life kep in Allegheny for the last 3 years. Great hunting there but noting beats the tradition of deer camp. I normally go to camp in Moshannon where I have been going since 1978, but just not same for me there since Dad died in 2004.

I was invited by my future son in laws family to go to there camp in Marienville.

We arrived at 100pm Saturday and the fun began. An afternoon of shoes, venison and beer went well into the evening.

Sunday we woke up and had a nice breakfast and the prepared for some scouting.

The camp is right off a 66 and is is about a 1 mile walk to the ANF. I scouted around and found a nice bedding area with allot of good sign and marked my spots for opening day. After cleaning up I took a drive down to Clarion to see an ARMY friend I haven't seen since 1994. The day ended with watching the nailbiter of a Steeler game.
Day 1: was up at 415 dresses and took a ride down 66 to get some coffee and donuts. Everyone else was up around 515. We heading into the woodsaround 545 and got set up around 620. There was a steady light rain until about 10am and then the sun came out. I still hunted for 2 hours and saw 3 doe and 1 unknown. None would have been a good shot. I found my spot I picked for the afternoon hunt and settled in about 230pm. About 10 minutes later 2 doe came by me at about 20 yards and never noticed me. About 330 I heard some loud crashing in the distance. Thinking it may be a bear I was scoping the thick scrubby area about 150 yards to my front and saw several deer. It was so thick and could make them all out. Only one presented a nice shot but I couldn't see its head. I watched them for 30-45 minutes hopiong they would come my way. My buddy Keith cam out of ANF and spooked them. Knowing he would be coming I was hoping it would work out and they would come my way. They did but angled away not allowing any good looks. There area is loaded with trails and nice rubs and scrapes.

Monday ended with a nice spaghetti dinner and everyones stories. The best the 100 mile and hour buck that Keith saw but could get a shot.

Day 2: back down into the woods an set up at 630. I'm the same general area hoping to see some deer before the rain rolls in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Re: RTH's Deer Season

Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
RTH

800am and the rain has arrived, moved just a little to get under a nice big pine to break the rain. If it keeps up will hunto until noon and the pack up and head home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Cool report! Good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great report, it sounds like a nice camp experience. When you get home, tell your daughter not to let this one go, he is a keeper.

Unless you are the lead dog, the view is always the same...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
RTH

Day 2 continued: the rain kept on coming so at around 10am I decided to head back into camp. I cleaned up around the camp and packed my truck for the driv ack to Pittsburgh. Once getting home around 130 I made Some lunch and enjoyed some quality time with my soon tobe 1 year old grandson.

At 300 pm I headed out to my stand. The sun was shining and I thought the deer may be up and moving after the rain. I noticed 5 or 6 deeding on the gas line cut. I decided to try and sneak up on them. I took about 45 minutes to go 200 yards and did manage to pull it off, except I was too low on thill to see them all. - was able to get with 30yards of 2 doe I decided not to shoot.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
RTH

Day 3: I will be hunting here in 2B Ohio Twp, Alleppo, and Bell Acres today. I'm expecting to see some deer and hoping to see on of the several monsters around here. Head back to work tomorrow and Friday, and then may hunt a buddies camp in the Qubec Run area Fayette County.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
RTH

Day 3 -Nov 30th. I hunted the first 4 hours of the day from stand and snuck around for a little while. After lunch I headed back to an area by where I work along the interstate. This was the first time I hunted here. I have been seeing several big bucks each day on the way to work in this area. I parked the truck and snuck up to the top of the hill. I was helped by the sounds of traffic. It had just started to snow and visibility was down. As I crested the hill I saw a deer feeding about 150 yards out. It was facing away from me. Its head was down but when it raised I saw it was buck. I scoped for 10 to 15 minutes but could only count 6 points. I stayed the rest of the day until dark and saw nothing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
RTH

Day 4 for me I hunted out of buddies camp in the Quebec Run Wild area. I drove up Friday night and after sharing a few beers and stories of the week we went to bed around midnight. We woke at 530am and we headed out to the woods. Beautiful woods that they had seen deer in all week and had a few misses. I sat all day and did not see a thing. Amazingly I counted a total of 250 shots by noon. Welcome to Saturday doe. I hear over the radio of a few guys who had gotten bucks. I came back home later that night.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
RTH

Day 5 - Friday Dec 9th. I'm hunting now back in 2B near work. I saw the bucks yesterday morning. 1 12 pt and the other Is a 16 pt. We see it all the time. I'm hoping it is where I'm at along the interstate. We have been watching the deer all fall but it tends to hang out in the area around the buildings. Got in the woods about 6am and so far have only seen 1 doe. I chose not to shoot. I have allot time left for the meat pole. This is strictly a trophy hunt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page