Scent Block - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Scent Block

Does anyone believe in scent block? I think it is impossible to hide all of your scent. I know old timers who said they used to smoke at there stand and still shot deer. I personally think scent block is just a waste of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Scent Block

waste, i had 4 cigarettes durig the morning at my stand on tuesday in wv. at 10am a buck apperaed out of the fog at 20 yds and i shot him. only sure way is to play the wind

Remington 700
mission mxb320
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM

De-scent at best ya can and play the wind.....Ya never get rid of all your scent....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Part of the Community

I was bow hunting this year and had a 6 point and a nice 8 point come in. The 6 point was staring up at me in the tree and circle downwind from me and stuck his nose in the air and tried to smell that big blob 2o ft up in the tree. it never caught my wind and he and the big eight point walked 30 yrds in front of me. needless to say the 8 got wacked. but if the six point would have winded me it would have been all over. I was wereing scent blocker and use scent away spray. it has worked for me over the years. the reason it stops being effective is guys don't know how to take care of their suits.

To each his own but I think it has helped me kill some of my biggest buck.

Deer tremble at the sound of my name....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Deer Hu
Does anyone believe in scent block? I think it is impossible to hide all of your scent. I know old timers who said they used to smoke at there stand and still shot deer. I personally think scent block is just a waste of money.
here is the aswer
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I always throw in a dip usually wintergreen and that has a strong scent and i shot a buck the last two years not to mention i didnt use any scent block
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 AM

I do the same scent control for all hunting except for turkeys. The can't smell. Anyone that thinks that scent doesn't matter IMHO doesn't understand. Go Pens.

Please put your WMU in your location! Helps! 3C
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Proper and diligent scent control WORKS...period. It isn't about being able to completely eliminate your scent (that is simply impossible) but more importantly to <u>reduce your scent as much as possible</u>. I have shot more deer within 10 yards...down wind of me than a lot of guys will ever see in the woods. Why? I practice scrupulous scent control and utilize carbon based garments. I brush my teeth and use an anti bacterial wipe on my face and exposed skin once I get to the stand. I also usually don't put my scent blocking gear on until I'm at the base of my tree. I beak a sweat pretty easilly and need to stay cool as much as possible when walking to my stand. The object is not to try to be invisible to a deer's nose. That just cannot be done...period unless you hunt in a sealed suit of some kind and breath with a respirator as someone already stated. What all this scent control stuff does is reduce your scent to the point that the deer's nose tells him you are a whole lot further away than the 10 yards in the tree next to him about to put an arrow through his pump house...

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

I haven't hunted archery for a long time, but I have killed a lot of deer at ten yards with a rifle and some as close as ten feet and I had a cigarette in my mouth or hand most times when I did it and if I wasn;t smoking, my clothes smelled of tobacco smoke, and I take a leak right out of my stand, not into a container. While I believe there may be some value to scent control in certain circumstances, I think for the most part its importance is overblown at least with PA deer who would be hard pressed not to have ever smelled the presence of man. I think scent free spray and clothing, bags more men that deer. Unless you can hold your breath for a day, you are broadcasting scent every time you breath out. This will be my first year in a long time there will be no ciraretts on stand because I quit 3 months ago so I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Congrats on quitting the smokes.I did it almost 14 years ago.A gift to my son when he was born.Also benefits myself and the rest of the family.Good luck monday.Oh and not having smokes means one less thing to carry in.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page