My LetterKenny Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

My LetterKenny Hunt

Arrived Saturday at 415am there was about 45 guys in each the A and B lines and about 150 guys in the stand-by line already.
processing started at 5am that went smooth and quick got on the bus 530 was dropped off at my site (sectionH) 545am.
Walked back with 5 other hunters.. I tagged along with a Father ĖSon duo. walked back the road to a cut fireline was on stand by 615am ..
There I stood until 12noon.. only a few shots fire by then in my area. I seen 4 does/fawns and 2 buck (spike, 6pt) The Father shot one doe with those 4 I seen.
walked up them for coffee break. they weíre going to stick it out til 4pm curfew. So I took a walk to familiarize myself wit the area. I looped around the fire cut out and grass field area.
That took about 1hr. during that time I bummed 2 buck and 1 doe (bucks were small basket type 3x3ís) I settled back into my original stop and stay there until 330pm ( you have to be back on the hard road by 4pm ) If youíre late
youíre maybe not return ever! ..From 2pm til 330pm I saw 2 separate yearlings (which I declined to shoot) So so 6 guys and 1 doe from our drop off point..

Now back at the check-in station.. I hung around asked a few questions etc...I was surprised total of 424 hunters and 73 doe harvested from the entire hunting area ( except for area K it was closed. ) My pick up truck had 2 deer
one from our area and 1 from another.. They both seemed pretty nice size they werenít small.. then came the reality check . they were placed on digital scales. Guys were mumbling 135 150.... DING 113 the other 109
I asked the processed gal she said what was the heaviest today 129 she said.. they also cut the jaw and aged them.. of all the 73 that day only 1 was older than 2 1/2 yrs old.

Now donít get me wrong.. just because I didnít see any monsters, they are out there. Seen archery pictures of a few on the final day (12th ) Nice !

Final conclusion. Thereís not a Boone and Crocket behind every tree. Deer are not parading in front of by the hundreds.. Like my great NOchaux Forest you have to be in the right spot at the right time.

Iíll be returning on Dec 3rd for my buck hunt.. ( maybe! horror stories on that check in process ) They start lining up out side the rec area gate Friday night 7pm 1st 100 guys get a processing line ticket the rest is a free for all
for parking and scrambling to get in line.. Kinda like a Black Friday for buck hunters.

Later... Happy Thanksgiving and good luck on the opening day !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: My LetterKenny Hunt

Interesting, thanks for sharing the experience.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
The Man

Sounds like fun!...NOT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow I'd honestly quit hunting if I had to put up with that crap, are people that desperate just to shoot a deer? You really have alot of patience there Nice Rack.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Talon I wanted to see for myself what the experience was all about
first hand. From what I've learn most if not all
were happy with those arrangments there. turns out it
Was 25 % kill ratio. and the age groups. It was
Amazing to see about 50/50 younger than 60 and over 65. Hunters
That is.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Not for me.

but

Thanks for the report!

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM

73/424 = 17% which is still higher then a bunch of the other Saturdays.

4:15am arrival is awful early to get anywhere to shoot a doe. Last time I hunted there I arrived at 5:45, checked in at 6am and got just as many deer as you did, lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 PM

The processing goes fast now. Everyone will camp out before your buck day. If I were you I'd sleep in some and show up about 40 minutes after they start processing. Chances are you'll still be in before light, and actually in there it doesnt even matter, deer will be moving all day that day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page