So excited finally get to go deer hunting! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

So excited finally get to go deer hunting!

The last few years have been tough. in 07 I was traveling for work, and it was the first time that I didn't get to hunt the first day of rifle in PA in my life. I did make it back for the end of the season. In 08 I would be in Philly for work, but a long way from being able to hunt. That was the first year in my life i didnt hunt in PA, however I finally had private land to hunt in NC. I managed to take a small doe on Christmas day that year. In 09 my son was born , and I had grand plans to hunt. I got to hunt one day and shot a large doe. My son was born, and needed heart surgery. Needless to say no more hunting in 09(thank god my son is healthy now)

Last year I was way to busy to hunt down here. I did make it back to PA, but didnt buy a license and sat inside for the first day with my son.

This year is different. I get to go hunting on Saturday, and talked my wife into letting me stay home for thanksgiving this year. I will be alone for thanksgiving, but will spend it and the day after chasing deer in Anson county NC. From what the landowner tells me this is the prime time down there. I can't wait.

I've also lined up some needy families for the meat, With the liberal bag limits I hope to kill a few. I'll admit I'm not to crazy about hunting over bait, but this is how the landowner does it, and he has some sweet blinds built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Re: So excited finally get to go deer hunting!

My buddy had a timed feeder in NC, and when it went off and the corn started spraying out the deer heard it and came running LOL.

Have fun good luck!!

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Have fun, and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

yeah its just how they do it down here. after hunting over 20 years in pa it takes some getting use to for sure.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeHunter
My buddy had a timed feeder in NC, and when it went off and the corn started spraying out the deer heard it and came running LOL.

Have fun good luck!!
This is exactly why I do not think feeding meets the test of fair chase.

I know a fella who has a place at Raystown lake. It is a vacation/weekend place but he has the deer conditioned to come running when he gets a can of corn out and shakes it. The deer are so conditioned to his feeding they come running when he drives down the driveway on a Friday afternoon for the weekend.

Habituated. A few of the deer will come to within 10 feet of him for the corn.

As mentioned above, deer will come running when the timed feeder motors go off.

How can anyone say that regular feeding and conditioning of deer meets the test of fair chase??

A guy just up the road from me has been feeding deer in his backyard for years. He always has a pile of corn out there that can be seen from the road. Year before last he agreed to let a guy he knows put up a ladder stand over the feed pile. The guy shot a 170 inch 12 pointer in January that some of us in the neighborhood had been hunting for about three years.

Fair chase?

Not me.

But, if it is legal and it meets your smell test then go ahead..

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I told him it was like Pavlov's dog drooling LOL.

BTW where I hunted along the NC/VA border in the Peidmont region you could run deer with dogs. I don't know if thats considered fair chase, but its a chase and a blast to do. really enjoyed working with the Walker hounds they guys had.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Note to self; Wear corn suit next time i hunt raystown.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Its just different hunting. There is way more land down here and they just don't move. Also way less hunters. thats why your allowed 6 deer, and where I hunt you can shoot as many doe as you care too. extra tags are 10 bucks and allows for 2 doe. You can buy as many as you like. I've only taken one over corn and looking back I didnt enjoy it. there is plenty of other spots I can hunt, but saturday I will be limited on time and will hunt the bait pile. the landowner is a good friend, and the deer are just over populated. He really wants does shot off at any cost.

They also hunt with dogs in about half the state. I was against that too till I had it explained to me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Really.... the guy is excited about going hunting in NC. It what it is... if PA would allow baiting (oh thats right your biologic food plot is not baiting sorry been down that road before just thought if someone was going to dig I woudld through that in there) there would be many feeders out there. Let the guy enjoy his time off and let him hunt. Good Luck sir... and have fun.

jmdb25

Take a Kid hunting!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Best of luck and have a great time!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page