my Montana trip DIY - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

my Montana trip DIY

Well I just got home yesterday from my eastern Montana deer hunt.I'll give you a quick run down of the hunt.Sorry, but I'm a computer idiot so I don't know how to do pictures
Day 1-get checked in at motel in Broadus at 11am;get changed and head out for the afternoon and to strech my legs after 24 hrs in the truck.Walk in about 2 miles and spot a doe feeding.Start working over to see if any bucks may be close,and come up on a nice sized 2x3 bedded in a drainage ditch.Have him at 100 yards,but pass as I'm here for at least a 4x4 buck or better
Day 2-check into a different block management area and begin hunting.Put on about 6 miles walking and end the morning hunt withsightings of 12 antelope,and 8 deer that were on private land.Decide to head back to the 1st BM area from the day before and hunt a different section of it.Add another 4 miles at least to my walk for the day and only see a badger and some praire dogs;not great for 10 miles of walking
day 3-meet up with some locals I met while elk hunting in Sept.We go to yet another BM area and see only a large herd of anteope for the morning.Change plans and decide to drive some islands along the Yellowstone River.We end up pushing off a few deer and yotes but nothing worth shooting.This was a real fun style of hunting out there.Running from island to island off of their jet boat
Day4-head to some private land the locals are allowed to hunt.Right away we spot 2 does with a small buck;pass.Move around some more and locate another buck,and a bunch more does.The buck is too small again so I pass.Move again and locate some more does and 2 small bucks.We go in for a closer look and run into 2 nice bull elk.Too bad my elk tag isn't good for the area.We head back to town to eat and rest a little.The afternoon hunt starts off on another piece of private land,and we see 4 does feeding right away.We decide to start walking and glassing and run into 5 more does.We get to the last draw and here is what I came for.Theres 3 5x5 bucks walking up out of the draw.I have the biggest at 350 yards and shoot;clean miss.We restalk and get within 150 yards of the bucks and again I miss.Have no idea whats up as this was an easy shot.The bucks separate and 2 run towards the father whos back closer to the truck.They walk up on him to 50 yards and he takes one out
Day before when island hunting I went down hard on my gun which must have knocked the scope off.At least thats what I'm telling myself
Day 5-check into a hard to access corporate land and get to hunting.Immediately we see the biggest buck of the trip;5x5 with stickers and pushing somewhere around 160".Unfortunately he's on the wrong side of the road and its not our designated hunt area.I glass a few does further down the road, and get out to look them over better.Find a decent 3x3 chasing one of the does and decide to take him since its the last morning.As I stalk in and get up on the sticks another buck comes out of the brush and looking for a fight.The 2 bucks get into and unbelievable battle just 70 yards from me.I aim at the biggest and shoot,another miss.Two more misses and they are still fighting and ignoring me.Last bullet in the gun so I decide to aim under the buck,squeeze,and this time he's hit.He goes maybe 50 yards and drops stone dead.As we walk up the other buck is just standing there sizing us up.As we drag my buck back to the truck, he finally walks off with all the does.A hunt I'll never forget.The fight was awesome and they would keep spinning and switching positions.I had to keep finding the bigger one in the scope
Montana is some great hunting and the people are too.A mule deer hunt can easily be done by anyone on here with a little map work and desire.anyone interested in western hunting can pm me and I'll give you any imfo you need.I've hunted Co,Wy and Mt.Most guys go to Co., but I can tell you imo Wy.,and Mt are better.No matter if you looking for elk/deer or antelope, I've hunted them diy and can help in anyway possible
Hope you enjoyed the story of my hunt

yote addiction: a pack a day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: my Montana trip DIY

Sounds like a super hunt, congrats and maybe you will check that scope.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Yeah,I'll be sighting it back in this week before bear hunting.After the fall, it seems like its shooting about a foot high,but I have to check for sure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

congrats on your success and to what seemed to be a great time!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Always an awesome time hunting the west!!Totally different from how we hunt in the east

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

I do not understand why you did not shoot the gun in after the first miss and check it?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM

great story but why no back-up gun?

you can email me the pics and i can post them up.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Congrats on your hunt! If you would like for me to post your pictures you can email them to [email protected]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on the buck, sounds like a great hunt. You are right about the people in Eastern Montana, very friendly! (Nothing like the people in Colorado!)

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Teeny
I do not understand why you did not shoot the gun in after the first miss and check it?

agreed...assuming it's a bolt gun, I can bore sight my rifles by takin the bolt out, point the barrel at a distant object, maybe 50-100 yards away, move the crosshairs to be be on target, and can feel confident that I can be "minute of deer" if needed. I don't mean to come off as negative, only trying to help you and/or someone else who may have this issue in the future.

Great hunt, sounds like a lot of fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page