Rut During Rifle Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rut During Rifle Season

Well didnt even see a buck during bow season so ive been thinking alot. Can you use doe scents while rifle hunting? Is the rut over? Or is the rut still going on?

2012-2013
Groundhog - 12
Deer - 3
Pheasant - 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Re: Rut During Rifle Season

The rut isn't over by rifle but it ends real quick if you're in the middle of hunting pressure. I hunted a small patch of private land a little last year for rifle season and there was still a buck making scrapes and doe visiting them after the first few days of rifle. But I had that place to myself. Where there is heavy pressure the rut ends immediately.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think the rut is still on just not during daylight so much due to shooting and pressure. Nocturnal rutting.As an example, I was at camp this past w/e and my trail cam pics before oct15 were mostly daytime pics,after small game opened , most all the pics are night pics. Coincidence???????
Our camp is literally across the road from 6k acres of state gamelands with heavy small game shooting going on so it's my theory that the shooting may have some effect. Just observations ,nothing scientific mind you.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:06 PM

In years past I have seen buck chasing doe, and responded to tarsal gands. Where I hunt it is public and lots of woods however there is not a sole in sight. In the past 8 years now I have seen only 5 other hunters on the land we hunt. Back when I was little we had a lot of OH and Pittsburgh hunters but they have all since passed away and or just dont come anymore. I would actually like to see more hunters because they will move then. It is a lot of woods for just my dad and I.

jmdb25

Take a Kid hunting!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

From the post I've been reading on here it seems the rut is on an off so far. I saw an 8 pt chasing a for last Wed but then nothing. I think the full moon hurt the rut action. I have noticed over the years of rifle hunting that a buck will be with the does or come by shortly after them.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster95
Well didnt even see a buck during bow season so ive been thinking alot. Can you use doe scents while rifle hunting? Is the rut over? Or is the rut still going on?
Typically the last weekend or our rifle season will see decent rut activity where there is not alot of hunting pressure.

I would tell you how many bucks a friend of mine at camp saw from his treestand on the last day two years ago but most wouldn't believe it.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 PM

i think we will still see some rutting activity during our rifle season. im leaving for illinois tomorrow for thier shotgun season and i hope it is going strong out there.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 PM

My 2 cents, the Rut is still on first wk. of rifle. I shot a few yrs. ago a buck checkin scrapes as I watched and it was first day like 2 in afternoon. I'm thinkin they stay Rutted up but just do everything at night cause of all the hunter's. Good Luck to All...later
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 PM

The biggest buck I ever shot was on the first day of rifle season, and he was tending a doe. Just like pre rut, there is a post rut, I am convinced of that. Not every doe cycles the exact same time, the exact same date! Find a hot doe and you will find a hot buck!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 PM

I have seen rut activity into late January.Nice buck was chasing six does.One of the nicest bucks I have ever seen actually.Scent may work if he comes in to it early,after the gunfire starts all bets are off.If you can find a place with very few hunters,try it ,I know I would.It can't hurt your odds only possibly help.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page