Reasons for getting one mounted - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Reasons for getting one mounted

I was wondering what others thought for choosing when to get a deer in a shoulder mount.

I got a fine PA basket-8 this archery season. He's not the size of my three shoulder mounts, but I'm torn between just getting a skull mount or doing another shoulder mount.

With this one, I fooled him on a mock scrape. There is no mast this season on the ridge I hunt the most, and lots of standing corn until just days ago so it's been a little tougher this year. This is the first one I've killed where I have dozens of photos. I saw him in the first week push around his smaller buddy. Got another photo of him sparring with his smaller buddy. I told a guy at work that if it gets late, and I can get this one over a mock scrape or rattle him in, something where I'm more "active" in the hunt, I'm taking it. This is the first one I ever actually saw fall. When things got tough, instead of pouting and throwing in the towel, I put some miles on the boots last Sunday trying to figure it out. No luck, so went back to one of my honey holes and laid out four huge scrapes, mock rubs, and the next morning it all went down......perfect.

He also had a quirk of carrying his ears straight back. Quite often photoed this way, and he tucked them back just as he stepped away from the scrape and before I let it fly. Not sure if I can find this exact pose in a form, but if I could, that's how I'd have him done. My post with his pic is on the archery forum. About 15 wide, nice symmetry.

Is it size alone that should matter? Should size not matter at all and be about only the experience? Is it some kind of combination of the two?

I'm not dripping money but I'm not living week to week either, I will not factor that into the equation.

To those who have gotten skull mounts, are you happy you did it? Was it memory "enough" of that day? To those who ever mounted something a little smaller than what you already had, did you look back later and think, gee, maybe that was a bit much?

Just wondered what the forum thought, I think there are lots of great people and opinions on here. Thanks in advance.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Re: Reasons for getting one mounted

To me it would come down to three factors. Size, room, and then money. You said money does not factor into it, so throw that out. Do you have the room to put another shoulder mount and still leave room for more? I don't have alot of room in my house to put any more shoulder mounts at the current time unless I take down some family pics. The buck would have to be bigger or very unique than what I currently have hanging. If I had more room and money wasn't an issue then I would get more of the buck that I have killed done in a shoulder mount.

I haven't done a skull mount yet, so I can't give you an opinion. I do think they look cool though.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM
The Man

I've got one shoulder mount, and 3 skull mounts, and a whloe box of skull plates with antlers on them. I much prefer the skull mounts, but that's just my personal taste. It would take an absolute monster or me to ever get another shoulder mount, and even then I'm not sure I wouldn't just go with a skull mount.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
The Man

the only thing that matters is what you want, ive seen plenty of mounted spikes on walls. a trophy is a personal reminder of your achievment.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
The Man

My perspective as a hunter and taxidermists son. If you
want it mounted than that's all that matters. I actually
like skull mounts that are camo dipped, it looks really
cool IMO. You can also get orange or other colors as a dip
if you don't want camo. For me at this point, I won't get
another shoulder mount unless it's bigger than my others
or it's really unique in some way.

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

I mount them if the rack is big enough to justify mounting to me. If not I cut out the antlers and put them on a board.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 PM
The Man

I have 4 shoulder mounts, but lately am hooked on the euro mount. My last 3 bucks and probably the rest I take will be done this way.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

yeah really dont listen to what other people say ^^^^ if its a trophy to you get it mounted. Really its all you if you feel its a trophy then mount it dont listen to what someone has to say about it. Its your trophy so heck get it mounted. I got a doe mounted this year.

2012-2013
Groundhog - 12
Deer - 3
Pheasant - 6
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 PM

One thing to keep in mind is you could get a skull mount and if you don't like it then you could get another cape and get a shoulder mount on down the road. Like everyone else said it is up to you.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Ive only ever shot one buck and I always knew that I would get my first one mounted so it was really no question. Honestly at this rate, 1 buck in 12 years, I may end up shoulder mounting every buck I shoot because its not something that I've been able to accomplish to often. I never think a shoulder mount is to much, any animal you shoot is a trophy and I personally am not a big fan of skull mounts.

Its not about what you harvest, its about the time spent afield with family and friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page