My trip to North Carolina - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232
My trip to North Carolina

My Grandfather and I went on a hunting trip to Choanoke Outfiters in Northeast North Carolina for the week of October 24-28. The outfitter is located in Woodland, NC, which is a two horse town. Ahoskie, NC is the closest town that actually makes the map. For anyone who has not been to this area in North Carolina, it is VERY rural. The terrain in this area of the state varies quite a bit. There are huge open agricultural fields in which shots out to your heartís desire are possible. For every acre of open land there is an acre of timber or swamps. Most tracts of timber are clear cut and sold for pulp wood, so there are a lot of pine thickets and cut-overs, which are thicker than you could even imagine. The outfitter has over 90 tower and two-man ladder stands throughout their properties. Each stand is hunted for 2 days, then let sit for at least a week to be sure not to over pressure a certain area.

If anyone is thinking of going on a reasonably priced hunt, I would highly recommend this outfitter. They only allow 8-9 hunters per week and have over 5000 acres of land leased or owned throughout several counties. The owners truly treat you like family during your stay. On a 5 day hunt, each person is allowed 3 does and 2 bucks. North Carolina does not have any antler restrictions like PA, so any size buck can be shot. However, the outfitter has designated certain farms as "Trophy Farms" in which your first buck must be at least a 6 point and your second buck must be at least an 8 point.

The weather was on the warm side throughout the week we hunted (upper 70s to low 80s on 3 of the days), which affected deer movement. Averages for the time of year we were hunting should be lows into the low 40s and highs in the mid 60s. The rut occurs at the same time in NC as it does in PA, so we were still hunting in the pre-rut.

On the first morning of the hunt, my grandfather took a nice 8 point at 120 yards with his Model 7 .243 on a non-trophy farm. After he shot the buck he saw several does and another nice six point that morning but decided not to shoot. Here is his buck:

My Grandfather passed on several other small bucks throughout the week, and could have shot a doe in almost every sit. He also saw well over 100 turkeys in his 5 days of hunting. They are everywhere down there.

The stand I hunted on Monday and Tuesday did not prove productive for me. I passed on a spike that walked right under me and several does. I saw a black phase coyote but couldnít get a shot (coyotes and bobcats can be shot at any time), I also had a 150 lb black bear walk behind me, but they were not in season yet either.

Wednesday morning found me on a trophy farm sitting in a high tower stand. I was looking down a wide logging road with a pine thicket on the right and a cut-over to the left. As it was just breaking daylight I saw a doe step out into a food plot at 135 yards. I looked through the scope, she seemed very nervous. Just then she ran to cut-over, and out stepped a deer that towered over her. He had his nose to the ground and was following her so I didnít have much time. I could tell he was at least a 6 point, so I squeezed off a shot from my Model 70 .308. He dropped in his tracks. I looked through the scope and couldnít believe my eyes, his rack was so wide his head was not even touching the ground. By far the biggest buck I have ever shot, 20" wide 8 point.

We left the hunt very pleased with everything. The guides were top notch, the home cooked meals were second to none, and people in the South are just nicer then people in the North . My Grandfather and I could have come home with all of our tags filled (10 deer) easily. But we just donít have room for that much meat, and still had PA hunting season to go. Seven out of the nine hunters in camp shot at least one deer. The two that didnít, missed at least 3 times each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Re: My trip to North Carolina

Congrats to you both!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
The Man

great looking deer, congrats. Love the double throat patch on your buck too

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks like a great time!! Congrats!

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Nice looking bucks, congrats

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 PM
The Man

Congrats.I,m gonna yahoo search the area to see if their is any property for sale.Did you see any for sale when you were in the area?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232

I saw a couple areas for sale. But didn't take much notice of them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nice deer! Great trip and lots of memories, Congrads!

NRA endowment life member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Congrats to both of you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page