Idaho Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Idaho Hunting

Has anyone ever hunted Idaho before. I'm beginning to plan a trip out and was just looking for any helpful insight. Whether it be gear or any other information.

If its outdoors I'm willing to give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Re: Idaho Hunting

I hunted elk in 1997, near Salmon. It was VERY rough, STEEP country. At the time there was lots of game, but I understand the wolves really took a toll on the game since then. Do your homework before you go.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 PM

i hunted the sawtooth mountains in 1998 and shot an elk. there were good numbers then. do your research as the wolves have decreased elk and deer herds in alot of areas. very rugged terrain good boots and pack are a must
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Part of the Community

Get into the best shape that you can! and then get into even better shape!!! Not sure what part of Idaho but its tough! Lightweight equipment! Good Luck! I Hunted Mule deer there a few years ago at Boulder Creek an amazing trip to say the least.

It only takes one, the right one...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Part of the Community

Here is the Mulley I ended up harveting on the hunt. [img][/img]

It only takes one, the right one...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 AM

Awesome buck and picture, congrats!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

my brother is out there - doesnt hunt, but lots in his shop do, maybe i could pass along specific questions if ya had some - let me know.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

I do a DIY hunt in Idaho every other year (near the town of Leadore, south of Salmon). Yes, you will want to be in shape, but compared to some of the DIY hunts I've done in CO, it's not nearly as steep or rugged, but you still need to be in good physical condition. Elk range over a wide territory and the only way to locate them is to go find them. that's going to involve a huge amount of walking over rugged terrain and you're in a high altitude with less oxygen. The better shape you're in , the more area you can cover.

Yes, the wolves have affevted the elk population but we still find pleanty of elk. Enough to still justify the expense and effort of going out there.

take clothing that is durable and light weight. dressing in layers allows you to adapt to the tempatures. We usually go out the last week in August for the archery opener and I've had temps as high as 105 degrees (it was a record high and very extreme, but still, temps and the 80's is not unusual for that time of year). 5 days later we had a foot of snow dumped on us. The weather can change instantly so you have to be prepared. Buy the lightest pair of QUALITY hiking boots you can. I can't stress this enough. Your feet will take a beating. Make sure your boots are WELL broken in before you go. One well placed blister and you can ruin a hunt you've invested a lot of time and money in. I've seen it happen 1st hand.

Hope this helps..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to PA12pt

Im not sure where they were but some of my buddies went out 2 or 3 years ago with tags for elk, mule deer, bear and wolves (at the time). They ended up with one bear and a small mule deer over 2 weeks of hunting. Said they hunted hard and couldnt find hardly any elk and the ones they did were really small bulls or cows. Hardly any mule deer and the one bear that they shot. Never saw the wolves but had their tracks following their foots prints in the snow when they were coming back out.

Like i said i'm not sure where exactly they were but apparently the wolves had most everything killed off and they were tough to see to kill. But ill try and find out where they were so you don't waste your money and go there

Philippians 4:13
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hunt north of Salmon near Gibbonsville. I was running 30 miles a week prior to my hunt. And it was not enough, I hunted hard for 13 days. Shot a good bull the second day and could not find him. The elk are very very thin. The wolves have done a number on the elk. But the hammer is being lowered on the wolves now. It should be better in several years.

Don't Gobble at me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page