Pass on deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Pass on deer

This is my 3rd season of hunting....mostly archery but recently got a flintlock. Anyway, I've been out about 7 times this year so far....wasn't seeing much the first few times but the last 2 times I've seen 5 does and a 6 pointer. All were within 20 yards and all legal. I decided to pass on them all for a few reasons. The does I passed on because I'm hunting on a friends property and I figure the more does, the more bucks when the rut gets started (when is that by the way ;-)).
The buck was a fairly large bodied deer but the antlers weren't too developed.
Everyone I told this to look at me like I'm crazy, including my friend who owns and hunts the property.

It actually got me thinking am I missing the whole point here...should I have shot every legal deer I have a license for?

Just to be clear, I'm a 40 year old new hunter, I've taken 3 deer in my hunting career....8 pointer, 6 pointer and a doe. On average, I usually only SEE 10 deer a year if I'm lucky as I predominantly hunt SGL. I will be hunting until the end of January however.

I love hunting, sitting at work knowing I'm going hunting the next day, going to Dicks on my lunch break buying more gadgets and Tinks, getting my gear ready the night before, waking up 4 times during the night in anticpation of going out hunting.

I want to do anything I can to prolong that anticipation.

How do you feel....is a deer on the ground the main requirement for a successful season?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Pass on deer

Quote:
How do you feel....is a deer on the ground the main requirement for a successful season?
Absolutly not, last monday am i let 2 shooters(3-up)pass with the bow but shot them with my video cam.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Only you can determine for yourself what is a successful season. It's different for everyone. Do what makes YOU happy!

Personally I don't think you have to have a deer on the ground to have a successful season. What I consider to be my best year of bowhunting to date, I never released an arrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

The main requirement for a successful season in my opinion is legally hunting the way you want to. If that means taking the first opportunity to fill a tag, great, if it means waiting for an animal with specific attributes great again. To some, a successful season is just being able to get out and hunt. Do what makes hunting enjoyable to you. The problem we have, and it is getting worse, is some want everyone to have the same idea of what is satisfying as they do, even if it means using legislation to accomplish it. Restrictions should be limited to what is biologically necessary for sound management, not to enforce someones idea of what animal is worthy to harvest.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

John said it all. Personally I went through many stages from -- just gotta get a deer, any deer ---to --- passing up any buck that appears to be less than 3 years old and not being one bit disappointed if I don't see that buck --- I'll gladly kill a doe for venison.
I killed a 3 year old buck on Thursday that was the 4th 8-pointer I've seen and I don't know how many 5 and 6's I saw.

A note of interest, the buck I killed was wearing a blue calf collar. I'm sure some will recognize a great opportunity to say I killed someone's pet, but this buck has been seen running wild for the last two years.
(I certainly would rib any of my buddies who shot a collared buck)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
The main requirement for a successful season in my opinion is legally hunting the way you want to. If that means taking the first opportunity to fill a tag, great, if it means waiting for an animal with specific attributes great again. To some, a successful season is just being able to get out and hunt. Do what makes hunting enjoyable to you. The problem we have, and it is getting worse, is some want everyone to have the same idea of what is satisfying as they do, even if it means using legislation to accomplish it. Restrictions should be limited to what is biologically necessary for sound management, not to enforce someones idea of what animal is worthy to harvest.
Well said by JohnS and eyefromthesky

I already passed on three 8-ptrs that most would have shot, but me personally, I'm looking for a MONSTER. Just haven't seen one yet. Thats my preference. The last day or 2 may be different. But I usually come up empty. Lot of great experiences though.
Last year I had my sights set on one deer that was leaving massive rubs all over, passed on several other nice bucks, happened to see the buck only once all season for a few seconds, found out someone got him in rifle season- a big 16 pointer.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:17 PM

I saw 18 buck this week in 4 days hunting. I passed two easy shots at legal buck, had a nice one slip by me that I'd have likely shot, and a bigger buck pushing 20 inches wide come to my antlers only to hit my wind and leave, no idea of the points but he would have brought me to full draw had he given me the shot from what I saw as he made his exit. An hour before I saw him, I passed one of the bucks mentioned at 5 yards, had I shot the smaller one, I wouldn't even have seen the larger one. You have to decide what you want out of your hunting experience. I have archery hunted 28 years and killed some good deer, I'm after a nice set of antlers and I know I can get the job done when the time comes. You gotta go if you want to get one, just keep hunting, you won't have to wonder what success is when you achieve it.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Personally IMO the less does around, the more ground the bucks have to cover to find them.

POSTED: Pleny of squirrels, turkey, even deer.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Great Post John and absolutely correct.

I have found for me that I go thru stages of what my "goals" are for each year. Sometimes it is waiting on a big one and sometimes it is taking the first legal deer that walks thru.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Part of the Community

This was m my first year I was commited to pass and wait for a wallhangr...i passed 4legal buck and several doe..well thrsday I shot my biggest buck to date. I think its a personal choice though..it takes alot to wait but if u r after a trophy there is no other way...im glad I did and Im ggnna tey from now on to wait for the big boy

the harder the are to locate..the more i like hunting em

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page