Permission to hunt property - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Permission to hunt property

Hey guys, i'm one of the younger members on here just trying to get my name out. I love hunting, anything from deer, turkey, to waterfowl and all the in betweens. I'm looking for a place in the dauphin county area to shoot my first buck. I'd drive around and ask but i can't drive yet..i'm looking for someone who may allow me to hunt during spring gobbler, fall turkey, archery deer season, and rifle deer season. I have a license and all the qualifying tags needed for the seasons. I will follow any rules or specs you have considering it's your property and you're being kind enough to allow me to hunt on it. I may also be looking for a place to waterfowl hunt in the future. Thanks! Shoot me a pm if ya think you could give me a hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 PM
The Man

Re: Permission to hunt property

You seem like a respectful young man and I admire that. That said, most folks aren't going to give you permission based on an internet request. Since you aren't old enough to hunt alone anyway, you might as well get the person you are going to be hunting with to drive you around so you both can ask together. Most landowners are going to want to meet you, and NEVER take anyone hunting with you unless the landowner has given you permission. Good luck this season.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Sage

Yeah, you want to meet landowners in person. You'll have an advantage in that some landowners might let you hunt because you are younger (where they would turn away an old goat like me). Keep the same respectful approach as you showed here and you should be able to find something. Good luck.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmaster4
You seem like a respectful young man and I admire that. That said, most folks aren't going to give you permission based on an internet request. Since you aren't old enough to hunt alone anyway, you might as well get the person you are going to be hunting with to drive you around so you both can ask together. Most landowners are going to want to meet you, and NEVER take anyone hunting with you unless the landowner has given you permission. Good luck this season.
Good advice!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

Because I try to hunt and or scout any off time I have, I have resorted to writing letters. This accomplishes 2 things 1) You can cover everything you wanted to say without leaving anything out 2) Doesnt put the landowner on the spot. In the letter I always include. Things like: I always practice safe and ethical hunting practices. You wont even know I am on the property unless you would like to me to check in and or leave a written log. The dates of the season(s) you intend to hunt. And I always include something like; I generally ask permisson in person but respect your privacy and do not like putting people on the spot. Im sure people have asked permission to hunt your property before and hope they have respected your decision and property. Also helps if you tell them you will help keep an eye on their property and pick up trash etc... I asked permission to hunt a small 5d farm last year via mail and got an email response that they would like to meet me first. We met, talked and they said thanks for asking, they have seen people hunting their property over the past few years but nobody has asked persmission for years. The first day I went back to scout the property, I stopped counting at 12 tree stands, on less then 30 acres of land... Wonder why people are so reluctant to give permission anymore? Oh, just got confirmation from the farm last night, that I can continue to hunt it this year.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Part of the Community

My advice to you in this area is to be proactive. By this I mean the groundwork for this relationship should be cultivated way before hunting season even begins. A letter in the summer with your intentions along with an eager desire to help the land owner out with some chores ex. cutting wood--posting his land -throwing some bails of hay. This small show of good faith will go a long way. Good Luck !!!!!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks a ton for all the advice guys, will definitely take a piece from all of you. Can always count on the loyal hunters on huntingpa for anything!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page