Lots of activity, lots of deer. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Lots of activity, lots of deer.

So far I've been seeing the most deer out of our hunting group. My dad saw three yesterday and they were running by him, our friend and neighbor saw nine all day, and I went out at 3:30pm and come 6:30pm I had seen right around 30 deer. About fifteen of which were still there when I was trying to get out of my stand.

That's my biggest problem, getting back home after sundown without alerting the deer to my position. It actually started out pretty slow, which was unusual. After about an hour I usually see a lot of activity, but I had only seen four deer. Three came out and within minutes decided to go back into the woods, and the same with a young one on a different side of the field. I'm guessing it was the wind, because it sure was whipping around out in the open.

I could see about six deer in the field just beyond the one I was hunting, and I figured I'd try some grunting and light rattling. They seemed more wary of it than anything, but shortly after I had deer coming from everywhere. One came right under my stand, to the field, then back in the woods and circled around again later. At this point there were fifteen in the field, all does and young ones.

Then coming out of the other field I saw antlers. That same five point I saw last week, followed by a larger yet smaller buck. He looked to be a six or small eight. His body was bigger than the five point, but his antlers were less impressive. I was trying to get my binoculars for a better look and that same doe that circled around before spotted me and alerted everyone. They ran to the middle of the field and stopped, the bucks kept coming. Since they were a little distance away and it was starting to get too dark for shooting, I decided to use my bleat can to see if it had any effect yet. They didn't seem too concerned. As far as I can tell, the smaller bucks seem to still be in groups, but they are getting more aggressive with one another. Poor little spike got his butt kicked by that bigger buck.
No shots, but it was still a very active and fun day, despite the fact I could no longer feel my hands.

You can die at any time, but living takes true courage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page