Adams County Poaching Help!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Adams County Poaching Help!!!

FYI...

Reward offered in 2 deer poaching cases in Adams County
Posted: 10/05/2011 08:47:12 PM EDT

The Humane Society of the United States and The Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust are offering rewards of up to $2,500 in two separate cases for information leading to the identification, arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for illegally killing deer in Adams County.

Sometime around the week of Sept. 12, the head of a male deer was cut off and removed, and was later found along Zeigler Mill Road, near the intersection with Rose Lane, in Butler Township, according to the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

The second case involves a male deer who was illegally shot and killed on Sept. 20 at about 10 p.m. along Silo Road, near the intersection with Railroad Lane, in Highland Township, officials said. The shot was reported to have been fired from a vehicle.

"The callousness of poachers is appalling, and we hope that anyone with information about these or other poaching crimes will come forward," Sarah Speed, Pennsylvania state director for The HSUS, said in a release.

Every year, thousands of poachers are arrested nationwide. However, it is estimated that only 1 to 5 percent of poached animals come to the attention of law enforcement.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the Pennsylvania Game Commission at 814-643-1831 or the Turn in a Poacher (TIP) hotline at 1-888-742-8001 or online at pgc.state.pa.us. Callers may remain anonymous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Adams County Poaching Help!!!

The reason only 1 to 5 percent are turned in is that when they are turned in nothing is done about it. Or they just blow them off and do nothing. I have personally called and turned several things in. Nothing has been done about any of it. One was my daughters and I were scouting for deer and accidently went onto another guys property and found 20-30 dead doe carcuses on a big pile with no ear tags and it wasn't even deer season. Nothing done! I here shots several nights throughout the week and have called it in and again nothing. People aren't affraid of getting caught because the never see any PGC or DCNR out on the mountain. So their chances of getting caught are slim to none. My daughters ask me if we are the only ones that abide by the law anymore. I told them I don't know, but I do know one thing and that is that we don't have to keep looking over our shoulder for anybody and we can take pride in everything we harvest.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 PM

I almost hesitate to respond to your post because I know from experience that you probably will not accept mine or most explainations. The first incident immediately comes to mind that it was probably a RKD disposal site and if it was not just because you did not hear from anyone does not mean nothing was done. Investigations sometimes last for years and you have to able to prove "who done it" just because the deer were there you still have to prove who is responsible. Secondly there is a standing policy that just the sound of shots does not mean the WCO's drop everything and run, now if a vehicle description or license is included then thats a different story. Also you have to remember that there is an ever increasing number of fox and yote hunters out there at all times of the night. To assume that nothing is being done or no one cares is incorrect. Just the knowledge of an area where shots are being heard gives the PGC officers an area to patrol both night and day. DCNR does no law enforcement off there areas that I know of.
Do not quit giving information because someday it will payoff.

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very well put AI.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In memory of WCO David L. Grove
End of Watch - November 11, 2010</span></span>
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:47 PM

REDLAB,
Is it possible that the pile of deer you found was a
dumping area for the PAGC?
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 PM

where the one buck was shot is right up the road from where i live...that road has a decent amount of houses on and around it too. hopefully they catch the person or people that are doing it because it happens in our area a lot more than what is being caught.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 05:50 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient indian
I almost hesitate to respond to your post because I know from experience that you probably will not accept mine or most explainations. The first incident immediately comes to mind that it was probably a RKD disposal site and if it was not just because you did not hear from anyone does not mean nothing was done. Investigations sometimes last for years and you have to able to prove "who done it" just because the deer were there you still have to prove who is responsible. Secondly there is a standing policy that just the sound of shots does not mean the WCO's drop everything and run, now if a vehicle description or license is included then thats a different story. Also you have to remember that there is an ever increasing number of fox and yote hunters out there at all times of the night. To assume that nothing is being done or no one cares is incorrect. Just the knowledge of an area where shots are being heard gives the PGC officers an area to patrol both night and day. DCNR does no law enforcement off there areas that I know of.
Do not quit giving information because someday it will payoff.
True.A few years ago I called our WCO about a guy who killed a 10 point the day after archery season was over.I didn't get the info until about 6 months after it happened so I knew it was pretty cold.I even felt kinda dumb about letting him him know.I never heard anything and just assumed the WCO did nothing.I later found out that he did investigate it and did some poking around.Never assume tips aren't looked into.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No the place I found them is not a dumping site for the PGC it is on private ground and is gated. I guess everyone could be right. The only thing is that the same guy got caught using deep frier grease poured on the ground to bait bears and he got left go. When I talked to the PGC about the pile of deer they said they would look into it. They also told me that he was getting free doe licenses because he keeps his land open to public hunting. I told them that he doesn't let anybody hunt on his property. They told me to get me and 2 or 3 other people to ask him for permission and keep the dates,time and place and if he turned us all down then I was to let them know and they would arrest him for lying about letting his land open and getting the free doe licenses. I let them know and to this date I have no knowledge of anything happening to him. I told them I have personally seen him shot deer out of his truck and hunting on the posted ground beside his again nothing done. I try not to give up on this kind of stuff. I also turned in 2 guys for killing 10 spring gobblers a peice the first week of season. I know this for a fact because he brought the beards into work to show them off and I got tired of it. They did call me back and tell me that they arrested him, but only for moving without his orange on. That was only a $50 fine. I think he got off pretty easy. I think they should have waited and nailed him for outlawing a couple of turkeys. I also think that if they showed them selves a little more on the mountian people would be more worried about getting caught. Out of 37 yrs of hunting i've seen them on the mountian a total of 3 or 4 times. If you average it out at 4 that is once every 9 yrs. Thats why people aren't affraid of getting caught. That is what the guy that killed all the turkeys told me.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
The Man

There is no such thing as free doe licenses for keeping your land open, Orange violation is not a $50.00 fine. Just the fact that nothing in your story adds up makes me question the whole post. If you truly think this stuff is going on and nobody is doing anything about it call the regional office and talk to the L.E.S or call Harrisburg and file a complaint. I have never known a WCO to turn down a deer case let alone a pile of illegal deer.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.J
There is no such thing as free doe licenses for keeping your land open, Orange violation is not a $50.00 fine. Just the fact that nothing in your story adds up makes me question the whole post. If you truly think this stuff is going on and nobody is doing anything about it call the regional office and talk to the L.E.S or call Harrisburg and file a complaint. I have never known a WCO to turn down a deer case let alone a pile of illegal deer.
And I'll call Bull on that entire story.
20-30 deer carcasses and nothing done? Bear bait and nothing done? I don't know a single WCO that won't get excited to work illegal deer cases or baiting cases.
(and some of these guys have been doing it for 20+ years)

Just because you don't see the WCO working the case doesnt mean he isnt. If hes not seen, he's doing it right

Putting Resource First

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page