The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Matched pairs of sheds?

3K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  BuckFever101 
#1 ·
Anyone find matches pairs, as in a complete set? Were they together or far apart?

Iv'e found them side by side, a few yards apart, a quarter mile apart. Just curious how others usually find them.

I have a pair from a 3 year old eight point we found in the spring of '17. I found the left in a winter wheat feild in February, my son found the right a quarter mile away on a trail thru an overgrown feild in march. Those sheds scored about 120 givin a 16" spread, about average for a 3 year old around here. I shot that buck in '18, he was now a 135" nine point. Cool to have a full set of sheds for a buck i ended up getting.

We found a set of 170's out in illinois a few years ago that were practically touching. My son should have shot that buck in the fall, had him at 30 yds, but a bad case of the shakes goofed that up.

#5 ·
I have found then on top of one another, side by side, within sight of each other.
Found a nice side in 1994 and found what i believe was the match 200 yards away in 2009 covered in grass. The last set were 10 feet apart almost missed the second side.

Attachments

#6 ·
I find more singles than sets. Always amazes me that some of the bigger bucks just carry on with a lopsided head after shedding just one side. Couple years ago I picked a side up from a 1.5 year old. Talked to the loggers that found the other side .8 miles from where I found mine.

#11 ·
A few years ago my wife found a real nice 5 on side laying right beside a small 4 on a side. I can’t find the pic of it though. They were in a real thick cut under one of the few hemlocks trees in that section. It was spot I would have never even looked. I walked that whole cut and never found another antler.

#12 ·
I never went shed hunting per se, but have found many over the years. Only one matching set. Probably close to a State record six point....if you were talking smallest. And the most interesting thing is I found them in November while turkey hunting SF land in the early 80's. They laid within 2 feet of each other, with very little chewing. It's hard to believe they lasted that long, but it was quite obvious they had been on the ground for nearly a year. I gave one to a ML buddy to use as a handle for a ball starter, but here is a pic of the remaining antler that managed to make it to my shelf of junk behind my desk. It's tiny....representative of 70s&80s SF bucks.:grin2:

Attachments

#20 ·
I found a matched set from a younger buck (6-point) that were several hundred yards apart. I found one as a late snowfall was melting and the fields had some bare spots. The other I dumb-lucked into on the completely other side of the same field in late Spring, almost exactly a month later. The second one was noticeably more bleached, but in good shape otherwise.

#21 ·
From about 2007-2012 I had a farm I hunted that was a shed honey hole, at least to me. I would find multiple sheds on the farm every year. In the 6 years I shed hunted I probably found 20-25 sheds and most were within 100-150 yard circle in this one location. I only ever found 1 match set and they were under a pine tree where the buck bedded up. Ended up being a 140"ish 11 pt. In 2013 a houses started to be built and that was the end of that farm. I now hunt 2 different farms and found 3 sheds the 1st year I hunted it, but haven't found any since. Funny thing is the farm I would find sheds I rarely seen a buck during hunting season, but the farms I hunt now that I never find a shed I see multiple bucks during the season.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.