The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

The meeting in Charleroi 2-20

28K views 537 replies 52 participants last post by  DethFrumAbuv 
#1 ·
The meeting had 70 people attend it was very informative. Mr. Santucci did an excellent job on his part even the Game and Fisheries complimented him on his work. When asked who was for the Sat.opener not 1 hand went up when asked to return to the Monday opener all 70 hands went up. Commisioner Fredericks tried backing up why they did this move sounded pretty shaky. Keep calling the Game Commission about this subject.To hold a meeting down in Washington Co. about this subject must be growing legs. :turkey_track:

#8 ·
I love these posts...
Can you certify that all those in attendance had 2019/2020 hunting license?
What was the demographic of the attendees ?

I'm fairly certain that if I got a meeting together at out local club and filled it with actual license holders whom were between the ages of 13 - 40 I could have a majority in favor of the Saturday opener.

I can almost pinpoint the demographic who is against the Saturday opener but I do not want to insult anyone.

#11 ·
The meeting was open to all the public. I am in my 30’s and I hate the change, all of my friends in their 20s and 30s dislike it as well. It sure isn’t just the older generations that don’t like it.

I would love to change back to Monday, but can’t understand why a compromise can’t be reached like start on Sunday or the following Saturday.

#9 ·
The meeting had 70 people attend it was very informative....When asked who was for the Sat.opener not 1 hand went up when asked to return to the Monday opener all 70 hands went up.

Playing the part of devil's advocate here....but I count at least 5 guys in the audience that did not raise their hand in opposition to the Saturday opener (two guys in the 3rd box from the left)....and that's only counting the guys in the foreground of the picture.

To be fair, there are a few younger guys pictured at the meeting.

Attachments

#13 ·
Not sure what time this meeting was held but a Thursday afternoon would probably be mostly retired people. The people that benefited were most likely working. Still really really don’t understand why the pgc can’t just take a vote when people purchase there hunting license. If they can ask me how many woodcocks I shot why can’t they ask me Saturday or Monday. I mean I thought this was America we have a right to vote.

#16 ·
For all you its ME ME ME crowd it was brought up by the Reps and Santucci. Listen this is what they said. Go back to the original Monday opener and since the 2 week season will have a Sunday in it make it the first Sunday after the opener.You took a day off the turkey hunters and small game hunters for this mess was it really worth it. Burhans spoke briefly and didnt make sense with his answers. Just an empty suit. :turkey_track:

#23 ·
. Maybe the college kids and city folks can have their own opener.
I'd vote for that ....
But it wouldn't be real popular with all you who think that their deer may get shot before you had a crack at it....
I'm assuming you are from up north so you probably shoot at them year round anyway so it wouldn't matter to you....

#31 ·
The sat opener probably hurt as many people as it helped.It gave me an extra day,even though I didn't even carry a rifle the first week.My nephew was home from the air force academy and got to hunt for the first time in 5 years.A lot of college kids are also in the same boat.On the other hand,I know far more people who had to work friday and rush to get to camp friday evening.It had no impact on me but I'm willing to bet it inconvenienced far more than it helped.

#34 ·
Actually the 1 rep posted that question to the audiance and that failed miserbaly I beleive his name was Kortz and overheard him saying he put legislation in on it and it didnt grow legs so its where it is in the dead file probaly. :turkey_track:

#40 ·
I know the PGC is all gun ho thinking the Saturday opener was the big reason for a little extra license sales but i would be curious what the sales would look like if they did not have the Saturday opener this year and keep the other added opportunities that were put in place this year. There were many other changes and opportunities put in place this year that was probably more of a contributor than the saturday opener. Will be curious to see how many more NR bear licenses were sold this year compared to last year. I know a lot of areas did not have many participating on the rifle opener this year according to friends, family, articles, and my own observations and there were a few areas that had more than normal. Guys getting deer in archery could be part of it but over 800,000 you would think more would be out. CWD could have scared folks from hunting some areas too. A lot of factors to consider.

#44 ·
The only time I discuss any hunting related issues with elected officials is when law is involved. They need to stay out of regulatory affairs. Some hunters are so quick to complain to elected officials over regulations, but have never attended a public PGC BOC meeting or testified in front of them, which is where the discussion should be.

#46 ·
I have written 2 letters the last couple weeks asking questions about concurrent seasons, the inconsistency of the license sales about Mr. Lau saying one thing and the what was presented at the meeting, and a few other topics. They will not address my concurrent season question but answer all my other questions. I have asked twice in both my letters about concurrent season they are proposing and they seem not willing to talk about it. They did say the Saturday opener is still being discussed but IMO sadly that is herer to stay. The legislators really should not be involved.

#55 ·
I was at the meeting as it was very local to me. It started at 5PM, and had a mixed demographic. I sat towards the back and was able to see most of the people voting. There were a few that raised their hands in favor of the Saturday opener, but that amounted to roughly 20% for Saturday, 80% for Monday as stated by Rep Kortz. These numbers seem to be consistent with all the conversations I have been a part of and the results of the surveys. Mr. Santucci absolutely blew the other speakers out of the water with his presentation and all the data he had to back up his claims. I was really impressed with him, as were the state reps. I was not so impressed with Commissioner Fredricks as he basically regurgitated the press release the PGC recently put out stating that the Saturday opener sold more licenses. However, I am glad he came to state the PGC's case. It had to take some courage for the other speakers to give their speech following Mr. Santucci. They had to realize that he was prepared for the meeting, and they were not.

#58 ·
Wow. Roughly 20% in favor of the Saturday opener....that’s a far cry from the 100% favoring Monday claim in the OP. I guess the OP somehow missed about 15 guys in the room.

As someone mentioned earlier, some folks only see and hear what they want to see and hear. I guess HPA has become the new CNN with its fake news!

#60 ·
You know, I'm right back to where I was originally on this issue.

With the way people are handling this, put the opener back to Monday. Do it. Write a law. Get the Governor on board.

Make it so it's a Monday opener on the Monday after Thanksgiving, it runs for 12 days, excluding Sundays, and it is prohibited by law for any reconsideration to occur within 50 years.

And then that's it. Rifle season is that defined 12 day period. Forever. Amen.

Bow hunters, flintlock hunters, bear hunters, small game hunters, turkey hunters......they have all seen season changes without 1/10 of this ruckus. So let them get the added opportunity and let the rifle hunters have the holy 12 days forever and ever. Hallelujah.

#65 ·
You know, I'm right back to where I was originally on this issue.

With the way people are handling this, put the opener back to Monday. Do it. Write a law. Get the Governor on board.

Make it so it's a Monday opener on the Monday after Thanksgiving, it runs for 12 days, excluding Sundays, and it is prohibited by law for any reconsideration to occur within 50 years.

And then that's it. Rifle season is that defined 12 day period. Forever. Amen.

Bow hunters, flintlock hunters, bear hunters, small game hunters, turkey hunters......they have all seen season changes without 1/10 of this ruckus. So let them get the added opportunity and let the rifle hunters have the holy 12 days forever and ever. Hallelujah.

I would second that idea, especially if they then decided to make archery season run all the way to the Holy Monday opener, including the Sunday before. Probably would never have to buy rifle ammo again. Never would need it. But I would go through a LOT of broadheads!>:)

With all of the years of debate for Sunday hunting, and now one of the three precious Sundays is allocated to the day after the Saturday opener, I think that ship has sailed. Like in the first Rambo movie, when he snatched the Sheriff in the dark and rainy woods and put that big ol Rambo knife to him and said "Let it go." It's done. Over. Adapt and start hunting on Saturday, keep your old timeline and start your season on Monday, or quit hunting and sell your guns, gear and camp. Pick one and move forward.

The people in that Trib photo are not the long-range future of hunting. Accept that. How many of them are senior lifetime license holders and will never spend another dime on a license? That's just not how the world works, human emotion is not part of the equation, it is based on data and demographics and larger trends of society, how it impacts the individual does not matter and no one cares. There is an aspect to a cold, Terminator-like approach to policy making. Has to be. Impossible to satisfy 100% of the people.

Live it every day in my job. My once-great company is going through a lot of "transformation" as they call it. It's all geared toward attracting and retaining the Millennials as the work talent. The compensation, policies, work environment all of it is changing radically. We know for a fact that one of the goals by executive management is to, and I quote, "replace aging and expensive talent with younger, less expensive talent". And to guys like me? Well, if you do not like it, the exits are well marked.

No different than the PGC

I've learned to grumble a little bit about things I don't like, but if I have no control over it, I let it go. I do what can do to adapt and be as happy as I can be with the situation I am presented.

#63 · (Edited)
The meeting had 70 people attend it was very informative. Mr. Santucci did an excellent job on his part even the Game and Fisheries complimented him on his work. When asked who was for the Sat.opener not 1 hand went up when asked to return to the Monday opener all 70 hands went up.
So you are now admitting that the above was not a correct assessment of the polls on the topic at this meeting?

The rifle opener can stay Saturday, or move to Sunday or Monday. I will be out there no matter the opening day, unless my employment situation changes or something.

I still support the Saturday opener as I believe that it benefited more than it negatively impacted. Many of the people that oppose it are not negatively impacted by it. They just don't like the change.

#64 ·
Good morning Gene. No Im not admitting that your in the middle of 70 some people a question is asked like the trib guy said a handful and another poster on here said not many when asked to go back to the Monday opener all kinds of hands were up. So if your trying to jam me up its not working Genie. Your the rah rah sportsman why weren't you at the meeting Don't you live Washington Co. :turkey_track:

#68 ·
This process is absolutely the wrong approach.

Legislating season dates...? Is that REALLY what we want?

For those all giddy thinking the opener will go back to the high holy Monday, understand the cost associated with what you’re doing (or at the least tacitly supporting). You’re supporting the idea of legislating game management policy and regulation.

You will not enjoy the long term ramifications of this precedent. None of us will.

#71 ·
This process is absolutely the wrong approach.

Legislating season dates...? Is that REALLY what we want?

For those all giddy thinking the opener will go back to the high holy Monday, understand the cost associated with what you’re doing (or at the least tacitly supporting). You’re supporting the idea of legislating game management policy and regulation.

You will not enjoy the long term ramifications of this precedent. None of us will.[/QUOTE
What cost the rules and regulations books havnt gone to the printer yet. The cost it did to businesses in Pa. is the travisity of it all for a bunch of cry babys. :turkey_track:

#69 ·
Disagree with your assesment on that picture in the Trib. Theyre the hunters we have tday. You cant get the young kids involved in hunting theres a few like dces kid and more on here but its not many to make a change like they did. The 1 rep said he went to Richard Trumpkas camp down in Greene Co. for his usual visit and he said he thought Trumpka was gonna rip his head off.Todays kids brains are wired differently.The whole fiasco could have been handled differently and the Reps told them how it could have been done and it wasnt done the way the Reps suggested. Dont worry though if the GC. doesnt get a hold on CWD they wont have to worry about any of this stuff. Its almost time for another bout of EHD to hit the SW counties of this state. :turkey_track:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.