Antler Alternatives - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Antler Alternatives

I'm pretty much done with whitetail antler mounting in all facets unless I whack a booner or a nontypical. My PA antlers include 18 shoulder mounts, 21 antler plaques and 2 euro mounts. I finally broke the taxidermy curse last year when I killed a 130" buck and sawed the antlers off. I'm looking for alternative ideas. What's everyone else doing with their antlers?
bohunr and Dirt track like this.

Last edited by TBrom; 01-29-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:03 PM

T I'm with u I have a couple in the 150 mounted and I just scull cap them now and put the date and we're and with what on the scull The one that I had the guess game with I got a ton of pm y didn't I mount it. Cause I just don't if I ever happen to hit one 160 or more I will get it done
bohunr and TBrom like this.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 PM
The Man

...try wind chimes.

....AWAY from large windows and sliding doors

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrom View Post
I'm pretty much done with whitetail antler mounting in all facets unless I whack a booner or a nontypical. My PA antlers include 18 shoulder mounts, 17 antler plaques and 2 euro mounts. I finally broke the taxidermy curse last year when I killed a 130" buck and sawed the antlers off. I'm looking for alternative ideas. What's everyone else doing with their antlers?
Someone asked me if I had gotten my mount back from 2018 which was my best buck (score wise) that I have gotten. I replied that the antlers are cut off and are still sitting in a bucket in the barn. LOL. FOr myself I only have 2 bucks that are shoulder mounts and a couple Euro mounts. Most of mine are laying in the barn or are in a couple of boxes in the basement. I really don't have much of a desire to do much with them. IF I ever get one that is over 150 then I will probably get another shoulder mount. That may be a while.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:19 PM

These are sheds I’ve picked up...on mantel at camp.

free host image

Racks from some bucks and moose above cabinets in kitchen

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 01-27-2020 at 08:24 PM.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

I made lamps out of the the last couple buck I’ve shot. I’ve given a couple of them away. Nothing fancy but some people think they are cool. Here’s a pic of the last couple I did...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01422F98-A630-4582-85C3-BC2F195B95E8_1580171196668.jpg (1.00 MB, 81 views)
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

also if you have a wagon wheel light in your camp or home , wire them to it in any configuration you want. you can get ideas from some log cabin decorating magazines . good luck on finding ways to use them
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 PM

If you don’t care about them anymore, then why even shoot a buck unless it’s a Booner? Whack a few does and fill the freezer instead of throwing a pile of bone in a box in your garage or basement...
bohunr, cz550, .257 and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrom View Post
I'm pretty much done with whitetail antler mounting in all facets unless I whack a booner or a nontypical. My PA antlers include 18 shoulder mounts, 17 antler plaques and 2 euro mounts. I finally broke the taxidermy curse last year when I killed a 130" buck and sawed the antlers off. I'm looking for alternative ideas. What's everyone else doing with their antlers?
You can pretty much do with antlers as you want. Display them as euros or just throw them in the shed. Sounds like you do not need to ask anybody what to do with them. Sounds like you are an accomplished hunter. You can hang them in the garage? put them in the house? You tell us? What are your thought for them? So glad you sawed off the antlers of a 130 buck maybe turn them into rattling antlers.
bohunr and NorthernPotterCo like this.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I like the shelf idea, Bigbrownie but at this stage of the game I'll be dead before I get it filled up unless PA goes to two bucks a year.

Like the lamps beavsteve. You wouldn't happen to have any design specs would you?
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page